Sunday, April 29, 2018

Blind Spot Mirrors

I don't like merging into left lanes.  Because there's a blind spot, you have to turn your head and look to make sure there's no cars coming.  I hate doing that - I hate taking my eyes off the road and looking behind me.

My youngest son learned to drive in our new car.  This car has a side mirror with a smaller mirror in the top corner - a blind spot mirror.  Lately, I've been trying to use that small mirror.


First, I have to get into the habit of just looking at the mirror.  

Not only that, but I have to look "at the right time" at the exact moment when I need to look, right before I merge.

Second, I have to know what I'm looking for.  When I see a small car in that mirror, a car that appears to be far away - well, that means "Don't merge!"  That small car is actually right beside me. 

Third, I have to trust what I see and to act on that trust.  

It's not easy, but slowly I'm getting into the habit of using the mirror. 
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Blind spots, mirrors, and trust - sin, sin, sin.

You see...I have a "blind spot" and it's called sin.  Because of my sin, I don't look at situations properly. 

Every day brings struggles and issues.  And it's during trying times that I forget the truth of who I am; I forget what Jesus has done and what He means to me.

I'm prone to look in the wrong direction, to look back and to act like the Old Adam...to take my eyes off my God. 

But, like looking at the blind spot mirror, I've been deliberately trying to look to God's Word when life goes awry. 
Your word is a lamp to my feet and a light to my path.        Psalm 119:105
And this isn't easy.  The Old Adam is always quick to react, to make a judgment, or to respond in anger.

But the Old Testament Israelites knew and Jesus taught that...
"man lives by every word that comes from the mouth of the Lord." Deuteronomy 8:3
I don't have to do this alone or by my strength.  And it begins by reading God's Word and "taking it in" every day.
All Scripture is breathed out by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, and for training in righteousness, that the man of God may be complete, equipped for every good work.  2 Timothy 3:16
And because I so often forget, so easily just react...I'm praying and trusting in Him to remind me to look to His Word especially when I struggle and am blinded by my sin.
Trust in the Lord with all your heart, and do not lean on your own understanding.  In all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make straight your paths.  Proverbs 3:5-6 
Amen.  



No comments:

Post a Comment