Sunday, April 8, 2018

Our Duck

Every spring, since we moved to Pennsylvania, we've had mallard ducks around our neighborhood and in our backyard.  Frequently, we've even seen ducks sitting on the roof of a house.


But this year, a duck made it's nest right next to our porch.  The nest can be seen from our front door


My son searched online and found that mallards lay an egg every day or two, up to a dozen eggs.  Once the eggs are all laid, the mother sits on the nest until the eggs hatch.

Not surprisingly, the habits and welfare of the duck have also become our concern.

Every morning for the past week, the mother duck has returned and stayed for a couple of hours, safe and asleep on her nest.

We look for her and count the eggs once she's gone.   

Now, she's started adding leaves and grass to the nest, covering the eggs, so we can't count.  Our last count was eight.

Lately, we've been using the garage door, not the front door, so we don't "spook" the mother. 

We bought cracked corn, so the mother can eat once she starts sitting on the eggs full time.

And we're concerned that the stray cat that walks on our porch may eat the eggs, or that the hawk that sits on a nearby fence will snatch a duckling.

All this care from the Mokris family...for a duck.  

My husband has been wondering, "Why did God send that duck to our house this year?"   

And I just smile, because I know that my God cares for that duck and those eggs more than we do.  Surely, Jesus also noticed and cared for the birds.
Look at the birds of the air: they neither sow nor reap nor gather into barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them.  Are you not of more value than they?  Matthew 6:26
I cherish these occasions when I see and experience the truth of God's Word around me - when I see that He cares for the birds. 

And He cares for me.  Are you not of more value than they?   

Sometimes, really often, it's hard to believe that I'm valued, that He cares greatly for me.  In the midst of my fear, my struggles, the unknown - He sees and He cares.
For you formed my inward parts; you covered me in my mother’s womb. I will praise you, for I am fearfully and wonderfully made; marvelous are your works, and that my soul knows very well.  My frame was not hidden from you, when I was made in secret, and skillfully wrought in the lowest parts of the earth. Your eyes saw my substance, being yet unformed. And in your book they all were written, the days fashioned for me, when as yet there were none of them.  Psalm 139:13-16  
My Lord knows my needs, when I'm vulnerable to danger, and when I struggle with my faith.  Daily, He gives me food and shelter.  He forgives my sins, and He feeds me with His Word and His body and blood.  

He gives me His rest and His peace. 



No comments:

Post a Comment