Saturday, May 5, 2018

Captain America: Civil War

When I was a kid, I watched Super Friends - a Saturday morning cartoon with the DC Comic characters: Batman and Robin, Superman, Wonder Woman, and Aquaman.  

Now, my husband and sons are into the Marvel movies featuring the Avengers:  Captain America, Iron Man, Thor, the Hulk...and about 50 superheroes I've never heard of - at least that's how it seems!   

Lately, I've been watching these movies on DVD, trying to "catch up."

Last week, I watched Captain America: Civil War.  In this movie, Iron Man and Captain America disagree over the management of the Avengers; their dispute later escalates into a physical battle.  

As the brawl begins, the hideous supervillian Zemo reveals that he orchestrated this conflict, in an attempt to destroy the Avengers.  

As I watched the fight and Zemo's plan unfold, my heart sank as I saw how evil can triumph...and I was convicted.
For we do not wrestle against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the cosmic powers over this present darkness, against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly places.  Ephesians 6:12
Iron Man and Captain America both get caught up in their own viewpoints, including their passions, hurts, and lusts...they forget who they are and whom they are battling.  And they fight each other.  It's sad.

And I know about this.  I know how easy it is to blame my situation, or to blame another person, even another Christian, for whatever is bothering me, for whatever is wrong with my little corner of the world.

And even if I don't physically fight another person, I "battle" them with my words, my actions, and even my thoughts.  I forget who I am, Whose I am, and I fight the wrong enemy.

I forget my sins...
For I know my transgressions, and my sin is ever before me.  Against you, you only, have I sinned and done what is evil in your sight...Psalm 51:3-4a
I forget my Savior...
...and [Jesus] died for all, that those who live might no longer live for themselves but for him who for their sake died and was raised. 2 Corinthians 5:15
I forget His mercy...
...and forgive us our trespasses, as we forgive those who trespass against us.  Matthew 6:12
But then, by His grace, I remember...
This is my body, which is for you. Do this in remembrance of me.  1 Corinthians 11:24
The Lord is my strength and my song; he has become my salvation. Psalm 118:14
This is my commandment, that you love one another as I have loved you.  Greater love has no one than this, that someone lay down his life for his friends.  John 15:12-13


Heavenly Father,

Forgive me for forgetting, for fighting the wrong battle.  Please help me to show patience, mercy, and love to other people, and to be an encouragement to them.  

Help me to forgive, even as You forgive me, and especially during times when I'm prone to feel hurt and to react in anger.

In Jesus' name and with the Holy Spirit.
Amen.


 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment