Sunday, April 15, 2018

Good and Angry


For the past year, I've been working through Good and Angry.  Author David Powlison's book counsels the reader on how to deal with negative feelings in a different way, a better way.

I recently reread the chapter Taking Your Anger Apart to Put You Back Together


In this chapter, Powlison sets up a traffic jam scenario and gives eight questions for the reader to address - questions that he says could also be applied to other anger situations. 
 
But really...traffic?  I worked through it, but was disappointed.  Why didn't he pick a situation that I could relate to, one closer to the root of my struggles?

The next morning, I had an early appointment.  Not two minutes after I left the house, a car pulled in front of me, and I had to brake.  Then another car did the same thing.  And cars started slowing down; I stopped at every light.

"Are you kidding me???" came out of my mouth.  

I was both aggravated and laughing at the same time!

And that's why Powlison's choice of a traffic jam is so applicable - practically everyone gets aggravated in traffic.  

What I've learned is...I get angry and have negative reactions about many, many things - both small issues and major troubles.  Some anger is caused by my own failures and sins.  Some anger comes from what others do to me.  And finally, this fallen world causes situations that lead to anger, through no one's fault.  

And those negative feelings that I get every day, about all types of situations, even traffic - they boil down to one thing.  

I want things to go my way; I want to have control; I want to be God.  And I'm not. 

Sin is the gist of everything that affects me; and, this side of heaven, it doesn't end.   

Those feelings and emotions, that come from sinful me, are not easy to accept or deal with.  But...
It is better to take refuge in the LORD than to trust in man.  It is better to take refuge in the LORD than to trust in princes.  Psalm 118:8-9
Dealing with anger and negative emotions ultimately means accepting and even rejoicing that God is in charge, that He is my refuge, that Jesus is my comfort and my hope.  It's learning to trust in Him.

And I pray that I remember and respond to that truth - whenever and always when things don't go my way. 
The LORD is good, a stronghold in the day of trouble; he knows those who take refuge in him. Nahum 1:7
Let not your hearts be troubled. Believe in God; believe also in me.  John 14:1 
I have said these things to you, that in me you may have peace. In the world you will have tribulation. But take heart; I have overcome the world.  John 16:33
Trust in the Lord with all your heart, and do not lean on your own understanding.  In all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make straight your paths.  Proverbs 3:5-6


No comments:

Post a Comment