Tuesday, June 6, 2017

Transgender - What's going on?


That Hideous Strength, the third book in C.S. Lewis's science fiction trilogy, is not your typical science fiction book.  The book takes place in "present time" earth, a setting that should be familiar. But when I read it, I don't see any "direction" or "cohesion" in the subplots and scenes - it's a world gone weird and bad.


Two story lines in the book continue to disturb me:  First, the book's representative married couple has chosen not to have children;  Second, the cutting-edge science of the day is about transforming humans into "disembodied talking heads."

Lewis also points out how Satan hates humans, hates the human race; and those two subplots are something that Lewis says Satan would rejoice in.

Satan would feel victorious in bringing about the demise of the human race - in one way or the other - by people no longer having physical bodies or by people not having children.

Fast forward to today...we have abortions, many couples are choosing not to have children, homosexual marriage is legal, and people are transitioning to another sex...and all of these behaviors have an impact on babies not being born, on the future of the human race.  That's reality.

And I have to think that Satan rejoices as evil "wins the day," as the human race, as those made in God's image, decline and fall.

I feel for those struggling with homosexual feelings and gender identity issues But I know, "It's all thoughts and desires gone bad" - gone bad because of Adam's fall, with sickness and death in our bodies, gone bad in our thinking and our emotions. 

And it's not the way God intended. 

So what's going on? 

It's a battle between good and evil.  It's a battle in our own hearts, thoughts, bodies, and minds.  And it's also a battle against the forces of evil, in the heavenly realm.  And I don't claim to understand.

This is not what God intended.  Something's wrong.  Like Lewis's story in That Hideous Strength, it's a world gone weird and bad.  And we don't even know how or what to think about it.

But the answer - Christ came to die for sinners, of whom I am the chief.  Somehow that makes everything better - not right, not fixed...at least not yet.  But better...and with hope that all will be okay.  Because Jesus is on the throne.  

Amen - come Lord Jesus.

4 comments:

  1. I didn't read this one; I think you told me it was too dark for me at the time. So I kind of figured it was about that kind of evil.

    One of the ideas I now hear constantly is that having children is evil because doing so harms the environment. Something is very wrong with a philosophy that produces such a principle.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually, there's a part that's violent, and that's why I said not to read it yet. I was somewhat surprised at the violence.

      I've read it numerous times and have even underlined portions.

      Delete
    2. How come you read it so many times? You said it's not that coherent; were you trying to figure out what it was doing? Is it worth reading?

      Delete
    3. I reread because I wanted to make sense of it. I could never figure out where the plots were leading. In rereading, I realized I needed to pay attention to Lewis's "added thoughts."

      Delete