Monday, June 26, 2017

Thoughts on: The New Moral Code

We recently had a sermon series on Christianity vs The New Moral Code, or society's popular beliefs on life.  We're continuing the discussion with a Bible study in 1 Peter.
  
One aspect of The New Moral Code is that people believe the purpose of life is having fulfillment, doing what pleases you, and enjoying yourself.  Even many Christians espouse the idea that Christianity means success, pleasure, and fulfillment based on society's standards.

In light of that...I've been considering 1 Peter 1:6..."you have been grieved by various trials."  

In 1 Kings 18, at Mt. Carmel, Elijah "takes on" the prophets of Baal and defeats them...rather, the Lord defeats them.  That incident is a "Wow" moment of the Lord's power; and, if I had been Elijah, I'm sure I'd have great trust and confidence in my God, trust that could never be broken.  I'd know the Christian life is about success, even in spiritual matters.

But, the very next chapter finds Elijah running away, fearful for his life, even asking the Lord to take his life.  

And that's also my Christian life.  I "function" under The New Moral Code, and I waver in faith based on my circumstances.  

One moment, I'm basking in success; life is good and my faith "seems to be working."  The next moment, I'm cowering, afraid of what's happening.  Like Elijah, I forget who I am.  I especially forget who God is and what He's done for me - Jesus.

1 Peter 1:8 says that we "believe in Him and rejoice with joy that is inexpressible" even in the midst of trials.  That "joy" doesn't mean a happiness amid pain.  It doesn't mean I'm rejoicing because of troubles.  

The rejoicing is a continual, underlying hope of the Christian life - and that hope is based on the death and resurrection of Jesus...and on His promise to come again, no matter the troubles or even the successes of this life.

I keep thinking of this quote from The Lord of the Rings, Return of the King: 
Gandalf! I thought you were dead!  But then I thought I was dead myself.  Is everything sad going to come untrue?
 Yes! 
He will wipe away every tear from their eyes, and death shall be no more, neither shall there be mourning, nor crying, nor pain anymore, for the former things have passed away.  Revelation 21:4 

2 comments:

  1. I think the purpose of life is to be pleasing to God. It is our purpose and that of all creation. I get this from Genesis 1:31, Psalm 104:31, and Isaiah 65:19. How utterly important it makes the Atonement and justification!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, C.E. I'll have to think on that. My initial response is that He wants us to know Him, know His love, understand what Christ did, know how helpless we are without Him, trust Him...and respond in how we live.

      Delete