Tuesday, May 30, 2017

What Do They Need to Hear?

A key military principle is that battles are not won by simply defending your position.  You must go on the offensive.

In today's society, many people have a "cause" or even a worldview that they identify with and work to defend and promote. 

The hottest issue now is transgender rights, which is part of the bigger LGBTQIA matter.  In recent years, evolution, abortion, racial equality, and many others, were, and continue to be, causes that are either championed or fought against.    

We all run into people who talk on and on about their cause or their take on life, whatever that view may be.  Occasionally, I "take the bait" and engage in a conversation, attempting to change their mind.  More often, I think, "How can I get away from this person, as quickly as possible?"

I once read that instead of avoiding a person who is always on a soapbox, or in dealing with any type of non-stop "talker"- I should first listen, and then ask myself, "What do they need to hear?"

I know they need to hear the gospel.  But I also know that sharing or defending the Christian faith to someone "with a cause to advance" or "an ax to grind" gets me nowhere but frustration.


Jesus said that the second greatest commandment, after loving God, is:

You shall love your neighbor as yourself.  Mark 12:31
All these people, the people with causes and the talkers, have the same desires, the same motivations as me - the desire for fulfillment and purpose in life, to be noticed, to have an issue to fight for, to matter.

I love them as "my neighbor" by just listening to them, getting to know them and caring about them.  Instead of "taking the bait" and trying to make and win points, I can change the direction of our talk by asking, "How's your family?  Is your health good?  Any job issues?"

You see...the thing about causes...they have the appearance of meaning and seem important.  Until....

You lose your job.  You cheat on your spouse.  Your son ends up in jail.  Or, you find out that you only have 3 months to live. 

When a person is in the midst of suffering and is hopeless, a cause doesn't save them and it offers no comfort.

But the Christian has that good news to share.  And when the impact of our broken and sinful world becomes personal to someone, when a person is hurt by relationships or life and death issues, when a person is in despair...that's the time for a Christian to "take the offensive" and share the gospel.  

And the "Gospel" is "What the person needs to hear."
And Jesus answered them, “Those who are well have no need of a physician, but those who are sick. I have not come to call the righteous but sinners to repentance.” Luke 5:31-32
Come to me, all who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you, and learn from me, for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light.”           Matthew 11:28-30
And I heard a loud voice from the throne saying, “Behold, the dwelling place of God is with man. He will dwell with them, and they will be his people, and God himself will be with them as their God. He will wipe away every tear from their eyes, and death shall be no more, neither shall there be mourning, nor crying, nor pain anymore, for the former things have passed away.” Revelation 21:3-4

2 comments:

  1. So, is the cause you're referring to sharing the Gospel - so that the appropriate offensive action is to be as Christ to others? This makes sense, but you left open what connection you wanted to make between going on the offensive and the rest of what you said.

    Also, I like verses that start with "Behold."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well...I was bringing various thoughts together...that many people, including Christians, espouse all sorts of causes, that Christians often get caught up in defending a Christian "position" on a cause and oftentimes to no avail, and that we are called to love others...and that love leads to sharing the gospel, at the appropriate moment.

      Delete