Wednesday, June 14, 2017

Ssgt Hancock

I'm currently reading the book Good and Angry by David Powlison, and this quote jumped out at me:
Meanwhile, we are to hate evil, but love our enemies.  We never know which enemies might become our dearest friends.  After all, Christ loved us when we were his enemies.  Until the Day comes, the door of life is open.  Enter all who will.
I immediately thought of Staff Sergeant Hancock.  While I was a Marine Corps 1st Lieutenant stationed at Parris Island, Ssgt Hancock transferred from our sister company to my training company.  She was an experienced Senior Drill Instructor, but she also had a reputation in the Battalion for being difficult to work with...and she was immediately assigned to my training team for the next three months.  

During that time, Ssgt Hancock and I had a professional relationship, but I left her alone personally, figuring she could handle things.  And besides, I was afraid of upsetting her.  

Right before that training cycle ended, Ssgt Hancock told me that someone had said that I didn't like working with her.  She actually said I called her a "_ _ _ _ _."  I was surprised since I'd never said that or even thought it.  But, since we were almost finished working together, I didn't respond, just let it go.

Then, due to some unusual circumstances, for the next training series, Ssgt Hancock and I were again assigned to work together.  And this time I was worried.

But instead of backing off and leaving her alone, I decided to "get to know her."  

And well...I got to know her and like her.  I fondly remember the night, towards the end of field training, while the recruits were out on patrols, Ssgt Hancock and I sat in the dark under a tree, wrapped in our poncho liners, and had a "girl talk."  No kidding.

About a year later...Ssgt Hancock asked me to participate in her reenlistment ceremony.   And I was honored to do that.

You never know which "enemies" will become dear friends.  People are worth the effort and the "risk" of time and friendship, even if it seems difficult and uncomfortable. 
But God, being rich in mercy, because of the great love with which he loved us, even when we were dead in our trespasses, made us alive together with Christ—by grace you have been saved.  Ephesians 2:4-5

No comments:

Post a Comment