Saturday, July 6, 2019

Going Back...

We spent last weekend in Annapolis, Maryland.  The new Naval Academy class of plebes, the class of 2023, had recently arrived and been sworn-in.  For my husband, it was 40 years ago that he became a plebe; for me, 39 years. 

I was surprised at how hot it was walking around the Academy.  It brought back memories of wearing long-sleeved white works with sweat rolling down my back.  I don't know how we managed the heat and humidity; back then, the Academy dorm, Bancroft Hall, wasn't even air conditioned!

I was also surprised to find a stained-glass window in the Rotunda of Bancroft Hall.  It's a picture of Jesus in a boat with his disciples.  I lived there for four years, and I'd never noticed it.

While at the Academy, we made the trek up Stribling Walk, a walk I made many evenings going from the library back to my room.  On Stribling, one can see Bancroft's open front doors, all the way up and into Memorial Hall.  And at night, even from a distance, one can see that flag - "Don't Give Up The Ship."


At the Academy, I had both good days and bad days, and I was often overwhelmed.  But those words, "Don't Give Up The Ship" were always there as an encouragement, as a reminder that the work and the effort were worth it.

And last week, when I saw that flag, I thought the same thing.  The words still apply.  Don't give up.  The work and the effort are worth it. 

But those words are also convicting.  Life is hard, and words given as encouragement can provide tremendous comfort to those in need. 
A word fitly spoken is like apples of gold in a setting of silver.  Proverbs 25:11
However, my own tendency is to get caught up in my work, worries, and issues, and to forget that everyone is in need, that everyone needs encouragement, support, truth, and love.
Therefore encourage one another and build one another up, just as you are doing.  1 Thessalonians 5:11
Encourage one another.
...because, if you confess with your mouth that Jesus is Lord and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved.  Romans 10:9
Fight the good fight of the faith.  1 Timothy 6:12a
And let us not grow weary of doing good, for in due season we will reap, if we do not give up.  Galatians 6:9
Encourage one another and keep encouraging one another.
Don't Give Up The Ship.  Captain James Lawrence, 1813



No comments:

Post a Comment