Saturday, June 22, 2019

The Best Evangelism Strategy

When I was first married, my husband insisted that I read Out of the Saltshaker and Into the World: Evangelism as a Way of Life.  Since then, I've read other books and articles on evangelism.  I've also attended classes and conferences to help "equip" me to share the gospel.

I've decided that all these evangelistic "tricks of the trade" fall into two categories:  1) making relationships with people and 2) following certain "steps" to present the gospel.  

A third often discussed topic is apologetics, being able to defend the Christian faith.

Recently I was at conference, and in the midst of listening to ideas about community and creation science, I suddenly wrote this question:
Biggest part of Evangelism - with our own hearts?  Yes.
Just maybe, our idea of evangelism is wrong.  Just maybe, focusing on relationships and learning techniques is off base.  Just maybe, we should rethink this.

I regularly try to read my Bible, and I'm always working to establish good prayer habits.  Most importantly, and especially since becoming a parent, I do my best to attend weekly worship services.  

Over the years, God has worked on my heart.  He's given me an inkling of the depth of my own sin, and He continually turns me to Jesus and to the cross.  

And these days, when Christianity comes up in a conversation, I'm able to talk about the love of Jesus.  And I'm surprised at how often this happens.

When I consider my own faith journey, I remember the apostles and the early church.  The apostles spent time with Jesus, hearing Him teach, witnessing His miracles, and seeing His love for people.  

Then, along with receiving the Holy Spirit, the apostles were equipped to share the gospel with the world.

And what about the early church?
...they devoted themselves to the apostles' teaching and the fellowship, to the breaking of bread and the prayers.           Acts 2:42
What happened...
...the Lord added to their number day by day those who were being saved.  Acts 2:47
I think there's value in books and classes on evangelism.  They give us ideas, an approach, and a renewed attitude.

But the biggest heart changer, the biggest equipper for evangelism is: God's Word, prayer, preaching, and fellowship with other Christians.    
All Scripture is breathed out by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, and for training in righteousness, that the man of God may be complete, equipped for every good work.  2 Timothy 3:16–17
And let us consider how to stir up one another to love and good works, not neglecting to meet together, as is the habit of some, but encouraging one another, and all the more as you see the Day drawing near.  Hebrews 10:24–25
...do not be anxious about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God.  Philippians 4:6

No comments:

Post a Comment