Saturday, July 13, 2019

No Internet?

In July 1980, when I first entered the Naval Academy, I had six weeks of plebe summer, sort of a boot camp on steroids.  I went to classes, had physical activities, and memorized Naval facts and songs.  And I'm pretty sure that '84 was one of the last classes to have a Black Sunday. 

I recently read a list of what the incoming plebe class now experiences for plebe summer, and I saw "No internet for six weeks."

No internet?  Could I do that now?  Starting today? 


I have online banking.  I shop online, make medical appointments, and connect with people for both work issues and social events.  And I especially enjoy the ability to go online and find answers to most any question I have.

But...I also waste a lot of time.  I go online to "find information" and I end up spending an hour just looking around, reading articles.

Lately, my morning prayers have included verses from Psalm 119.  As I've been thinking about "No internet" I read: 
Incline my heart to your testimonies, and not to selfish gain!  Turn my eyes from looking at worthless things.                 Psalm 119:36-37a
Wow..."Turn my eyes from looking at worthless things."

Now the internet isn't worthless.  It's simplified a lot of my daily tasks.  It's given me easy access to needed information, and it's made staying in touch with people effortless.  

But, like any good thing, my sinful nature finds ways to abuse these benefits.  

And I waste time.  I may read useful articles online, but, for the most part, I rarely ingest them or remember them.  It's just information overload, looking for something to amuse my brain, and avoiding doing other work that needs to be done.

This "No internet" idea - I could easily turn it into a legalistic duty and make "restrictions" on my internet use.  Then I'd feel good about myself and brag about my ability to limit my internet use.

I do have a couple of practical ideas that will help move me in the right direction on this.  

But really, it's all about my sinful nature, a nature that seeks my own pleasure and my own wants.  And it's about self-control...or rather, lack of self-control.  

The answer is...repent.  Confess my sin of wasting time and know the forgiveness of the cross, know what Jesus has done for me.
If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.  1 John 1:9
For I know my transgressions, and my sin is ever before me.  Against you, you only, have I sinned, and done what is evil in your sight, so that you may be justified in your words and blameless in your judgment.  Psalm 51:3–4
And pray, and continue to pray.
Likewise the Spirit helps us in our weakness. For we do not know what to pray for as we ought, but the Spirit himself intercedes for us with groanings too deep for words.       Romans 8:26
Lord Jesus,
Thank-you for the internet and for the many benefits it provides.  Forgive me for wasting time every day, in all the ways that I waste time.  Help me not to be anxious, but to pray, to meditate on Your Word, and to love others.
Amen.


No comments:

Post a Comment