Saturday, June 1, 2019

Jesus Calling?

Several friends have told me that their daily devotional time consists of or includes reading Jesus Calling by Sarah Young.

The book is a year of devotionals, and it's written as if it's from Jesus, and as if He's speaking to the reader.  According to the author, the devotionals represent God's words given to her during her time of "listening" to God.

I don't understand why someone would read a book "supposedly" from Jesus when that person could instead be reading God's Word, the Bible.

But when a friend told me the book was about God's forgiveness, I was intrigued and also convicted enough to borrow a copy.

My thought was - "The readings probably, mostly contain God's truth, just reworded.  It's likely not as bad as I'm thinking."

I was wrong.   

I read a few devotionals and my impression is, "This is a false version of God's Word."
For the word of God is living and active, sharper than any two-edged sword, piercing to the division of soul and of spirit, of joints and of marrow, and discerning the thoughts and intentions of the heart.  Hebrews 4:12
My pastor likes to say, "God's Word always nourishes.  God's Word is never without effect."

Jesus Calling doesn't convict; it doesn't nourish.  It just seems fake to me, a cheap imitation, and I wasn't expecting that. 

As I read more of the book, I was overwhelmed by the ways I was told to be and to think.
March 13th - Learn to live above your circumstances.
April 26th - Welcome problems as perspective-lifters.
June 21st - Wait patiently with me while I bless you.
October 7th - In order to hear my voice, you must release all your worries into my care.
Many of these devotions are self-help type teachings, mixed with some Bible verses and some truth.  I read one page to a Christian friend, and his response was, "Sounds like gobbledygook, psycho babble."  

The Christian's life, the Christian's struggle, it's one of daily sinning and daily receiving forgiveness because of Jesus.  I'm disappointed that Jesus Calling doesn't direct me to the conviction of my own sin, my need for forgiveness, or the comfort of the cross.   

Perhaps, the devotions represents Sarah Young's prayers, prayers that she's reworded into messages from Jesus.  This book would be best written as a collection of prayers instead of messages from Jesus.

As someone who's read the Bible for over 45 years, I don't hear the voice of my God in Jesus Calling.
My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me.  John 10:27
I stand by my original thought - "Why read a book supposedly from Jesus when you could be engaging with God's genuine Word?"
Your word is a lamp to my feet and a light to my path.           Psalm 119:105
Man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word that comes from the mouth of God.  Matthew 4:4

 

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If there is a need for knowing the forgiveness of sins the Lutheran church is all about receiving forgiveness for repentant sinners. The absolution and Lord's Supper is what so many Christians need, what I needed. I try to share that with everyone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jason. You are correct! And I didn't find "forgiveness" in Jesus Calling, which was the topic I was told the devotions are all about.

      Delete