Sunday, September 16, 2018

Watching Football...and the End Game...

Navy played Memphis in college football last week.  While watching the game I felt anxious and stressed as Navy wasn't in control.  By the end of the third quarter Memphis was leading by 12 points.  I wasn't enjoying the game and saw no hope of a Navy win.  

But in the last quarter, the Midshipmen rallied and scored two touchdowns.  Navy won 22 - 21, and I immediately forgot the stress of the game.  Go Navy!

Afterwards, I realized that if I had just known beforehand that Navy was going to win, I would have enjoyed the game.  Knowing the outcome of the game would have changed my whole perspective.  Instead of being anxious, I'd have watched with pleasure, both the good and the bad plays, all the while anticipating the victory.

Knowing the outcome...Hmmm...knowing the outcome....

A lot of stuff happens in my life.  It seems that life goes from one thing to another.  Some things are small annoyances and some things are life changing.  

And I'm always thinking, "Once this is over, then I can relax and enjoy life."   But once "this" is over, I'm on to the next thing.  The challenges in life never end.  It's always something.

And sometimes I drive myself crazy with worry and fear about it all.   

From Paul:
...for I have learned in whatever situation I am to be content. I know how to be brought low, and I know how to abound. In any and every circumstance, I have learned the secret of facing plenty and hunger, abundance and need.  I can do all things through him who strengthens me.  Philippians 4:11–13
I've always thought that God strengthened Paul with physical and emotional toughness, and that's part of how he was content in every circumstance.  So I'd tell myself, "If I just suck it up, well then..." 

Well then - What?  All will be better if I suck it up and be tough?  I don't think so.

The "better" is not in the situation.  The "better" is in the outcome.

And "contentment" comes with faith in the outcome. 

Life is unpredictable, and I have no control.  Bad things happen.  Life is never problem free.

But Jesus said...
I have said these things to you, that in me you may have peace. In the world you will have tribulation. But take heart; I have overcome the worldJohn 16:33
And that's the outcome, the end game.  Jesus has overcome the world.  The tomb was empty; He has risen and is now on the throne.  

That's how Paul was able to be content in every circumstance.  He was strengthened by the outcome, that life is in Jesus, not in this world. 

I pray to look to Jesus, to look to His victory, and to be at peace in the midst of this troubled world, knowing that Jesus is the Alpha and the Omega, the beginning and the end.
Behold, the dwelling place of God is with man. He will dwell with them, and they will be his people, and God himself will be with them as their God.  He will wipe away every tear from their eyes, and death shall be no more, neither shall there be mourning, nor crying, nor pain anymore, for the former things have passed away.  Revelation 21:3–4



No comments:

Post a Comment