Sunday, September 23, 2018

Mordecai's Psalm

Today I read Esther 3, the account of Mordecai's encounter with Haman. 

Mordecai is a Jewish man who's caring for his cousin, Esther.  He once lived in Jerusalem - the city where God dwelt with His people.  But now Mordecai lives in exile in Persia.

Haman is a high official in the Persian government.  He has a position similar to secretary of state or prime minister.  

And Mordecai and Haman don't like each other.  In fact, Mordecai refuses to show respect to Haman and Haman's position.

We're not exactly sure why Mordecai disrespects Haman, but Haman is an Agagite and possibly his ancestors were enemies of the Jewish people.

And Haman's response to Mordecai's disrespect - Haman underhandedly convinces the Persian king to destroy all the Jewish people.

Esther chapter 4 finds Mordecai in "sackcloth and ashes" bitter and grieving his fate and the fate of his people.

After reading Esther, I turned to Psalm 25, and as I read the Psalm, I thought, "This is Mordecai's prayer."

O my God, in you I trust; let me not be put to shame; let not my enemies exult over me. verse 2
...You are the God of my salvation; for you I wait all the day long.  verse 5
...remember me for the sake of your goodness...verse 7
For your name's sake, O LORD, pardon my guilt, for it is great.  verse 11
The troubles of my heart are enlarged; bring me out of my distresses.  verse 17
May integrity and uprightness preserve me, for I wait for you.  verse 21
At the top, I wrote "Mordecai's prayer" and marveled how those two readings came together.

And then I thought of me, of my exile, my sin, my struggling heart, and I prayed:
Heavenly Father,
You are my God, in You I trust; You are my salvation. 
For the sake of Your goodness, remember me, lead and instruct me, pardon my guilt for it is great.
Instruct me in how to go; help my soul to abide in well-being, to know Your friendship and Your covenant.
Bring me out of my distresses; let Your integrity and Your uprightness preserve me.
I wait for you...
In Jesus's name and with the Holy Spirit.
Amen. 



No comments:

Post a Comment