Sunday, July 8, 2018

Saturday Prayers

On Saturday mornings, along with my Bible readings, I have prayer and confession through the Ten Commandments.  I got this idea from Martin Luther, who said we should pray the Ten Commandments daily, and from Pastor Bryan Wolfmueller, who suggests that each commandment prompts self-reflection questions.  (See my "Saturday - Confession" at the end of this article.)

If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.  1 John 1:9
I prepare and print my daily readings and prayer pages well ahead of time.  

And, it never fails, come Saturday morning, I cringe when I read at the top of the page "Saturday - Confession."   

Again?  Already?  Didn't I just do that?

It'd be simpler to read a few Bible passages.  Who wants to look into his own heart and think about his sins? 

My First Commandment looks like this: 
You shall have no other gods. We are to fear, love, and trust God above all things.  What am I afraid of? What am I worried about? My fear exposes my heart and the idols of my heart.   
Those questions help put everything into perspective. 

I recognize the areas of life that worry me, and make me afraid.
...do not be anxious about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God.  Philippians 4:6 
But, at the same time, I become unafraid and even comforted, because I know that my God knows me and is listening to my confession.  He makes it "safe" for me to share my worries, my fears, and my sins with Him.
And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.  Philippians 4:7
And, in the midst of it all...by being reminded of my sin, my struggles with sin, my dislike of sin...I'm reminded that I can't deal with the sin myself; I can't free myself from it.  

But Jesus can, and did.  As I note my sin and confess it, I also know that His death has freed me from the power of sin.  I know I'm forgiven.  I know the greatness and power of His sacrifice.
He himself bore our sins in his body on the tree, that we might die to sin and live to righteousness. By his wounds you have been healed.  1 Peter 2:24  
Since therefore the children share in flesh and blood, he himself likewise partook of the same things, that through death he might destroy the one who has the power of death, that is, the devil, and deliver all those who through fear of death were subject to lifelong slavery.  Hebrews 2:14-15
It's all about Jesus and what He did for me.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Saturday - Confession                  ____________________Date 

Ten Commandments - Prayer and Confession

1. You shall have no other gods. We are to fear, love, and trust God above all things.
  What am I afraid of? What am I worried about? My fear exposes my heart and the idols of my heart.

2. You shall not misuse the name of the Lord your God. How are my prayers? Do my thoughts turn to anxiety and worry? Help my “alone” thoughts to be spoken to you, my Lord, who listens and answers prayer. And help my prayers be in accordance with your Word. 

3. Remember the Sabbath Day by keeping it holy. What is my attitude towards worship? Do I like going to church? Do I despise or delight in Godʼs Word? Am I neglecting worship or your Word? Help me to worship knowing that all is a gift from you. 

4. Honor your father and your mother. What is my attitude towards authority? Do I respect and pray for the government leaders and others in authority? Am I always looking to criticize authority or complain? 

5. You shall not murder. Am I angry? Why am I angry? What about “the person” makes me angry and exposes my sin? Help me to forgive as Iʼve been forgiven. 

6. You shall not commit adultery. Am I content in my marriage and the spouse whom the Lord has given me? I pray for us to love and cherish each other, to show respect and to speak with kindness and gentleness. Help us to always have “desire” for each other. I pray for our marriage, in some way, to reflect Christ and the church. 

7. You shall not steal. Am I greedy? Am I lazy? Am I a faithful steward of all that Iʼve been given? Help me to not waste time. 

8. You shall not give false testimony against your neighbor. Am I bitter? Do I seek to harm someoneʼs reputation? Help me to forgive and to speak kindly. 

9. You shall not covet your neighborʼs house. Am I content in all that the Lord has given me and in how He provides for me? 

10. You shall not covet your neighborʼs wife, or his manservant or maidservant, his ox or donkey, or anything that belongs to your neighbor. Am I content with the family and friends the Lord has provided for me? 

No comments:

Post a Comment