Sunday, July 15, 2018

Jesus died for even that...

So, it's happened again...this time, the founder of Papa John's Pizza is reported to have used a racial slur...and the world is reacting.  

The price of Papa John's stock has fallen.  Professional sports teams are cutting ties with the company.  And the company's in damage control mode.

And, I sigh...
...as it is written: “None is righteous, no, not one."          Romans 3:10
That includes the Papa John's founder; that includes my neighbors, my friends and family, my fellow Christians, members of my church, and me.  We all sin.

I also sigh because...we don't know how to handle sin among us.  We react with vengeance, we make excuses, we promise to do better and to educate so that this doesn't happen again.

We even react this way in the church and with other Christians.  

Recently, I was struggling with a series of events that was somewhat coincidental, but also included some unkind acts.  

Part of me was bothered by the situation and wanted to strike back and say, "This isn't right."  The other part of me wanted to handle the situation with love and mercy, and to be forgiving.  

As I dealt with this, someone said to me, "You've changed.  You're not like you used to be."

Of course, that's wrong.  

What's happened is, this person has gotten to know me and now sees that I'm not always calm, composed, and kind.  Life and situations affect me...and I sin.

And it shouldn't be a surprise that I sin.
...for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God. Romans 3:23
But, when sin occurs among fellow Christians, as it does everyday...we don't know how to handle it.  We don't know how to act when it's happening to us, and the sin is our own.  And when we're sinned against, we don't know how to respond and how to show love and mercy. 

More often than not, the response on both sides is anger, condemnation, and a broken relationship - no forgiveness or kindness.  

Apologizing for sin...well that's hard to do.  Accepting apologies and letting go of hurt, loving and trusting someone again - that's also hard.

And I fail at both.

But, Jesus died for even that...for my sins and those sins committed against me.  He died for the founder of Papa John's.  

To the sinner, Jesus says:
Your sins are forgiven...Luke 7:48b
...and from now on sin no more. John 8:11b
To the one sinner against, He says...
If your brother sins against you, go and tell him his fault, between you and him alone.  Matthew 18:15
...and if he sins against you seven times in the day, and turns to you seven times, saying, "I repent," you must forgive him.  Luke 17:4
My prayer is that we, as the church, the body of Christ, can live that forgiveness and love.  It's through forgiving love and mercy that the world knows the forgiveness and peace of God, and will see that the church truly is a sanctuary for sinners.
Come to me, all who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest.  Matthew 11:28





No comments:

Post a Comment