Saturday, June 30, 2018

Ramen Noodles and God's Word

Al's going to college this fall, and we've been joking about how college students eat Ramen noodles. 

A Ramen noodle meal is a block of dried, instant noodles that includes a flavoring packet.  The noodles are cooked briefly in water, the flavoring is added...and poof...instant meal.


I bought Al a package of these noodles, and he fixed and ate it.  He wasn't impressed.  

And I got to thinking about this food, and why college students like it.  Truth is, the noodles are cheap, they're quick and easy to make, and they're somewhat tasty.  Perfect for busy, but broke college students.

Unfortunately, these meals aren't very nutritious or good for you healthwise.  

And, just like we feed our bodies with food - be it Ramen noodles, salad, or steak and potatoes - we also feed our souls and our minds with "what we take in" each day.

And, I can't help contrasting these noodles with God's Word.  

Unlike Ramen noodles, on many levels, God's Word isn't cheap.  

His Word ultimately speaks truth about our salvation, a salvation paid for by the blood of Jesus...not at all cheap.
…knowing that you were ransomed from the futile ways inherited from your forefathers, not with perishable things such as silver or gold, but with the precious blood of Christ, like that of a lamb without blemish or spot.  1 Peter 1:18-19
And, God's Word is neither quick nor easy.  Reading and hearing His Word, it changes one's life to that of a Christian, a life that's not like the world.  And this change is a continually happening thing.
…you yourselves like living stones are being built up as a spiritual house, to be a holy priesthood, to offer spiritual sacrifices acceptable to God through Jesus Christ.  1 Peter 2:5
God's Word isn't always tasty, or easy to digest.  His Word speaks of my sin; it convictsIt's difficult to face and confess my own sin, to hear that truth.
For the word of God is living and active, sharper than any two-edged sword, piercing to the division of soul and of spirit, of joints and of marrow, and discerning the thoughts and intentions of the heart.  And no creature is hidden from his sight, but all are naked and exposed to the eyes of him to whom we must give account. Hebrews 4:12-13
But, unlike Ramen noodles, God's Word does nourish me and is good for me.  And, it satisifies.
...[Jesus] answered, “It is written, Man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word that comes from the mouth of God.”  Matthew 4:4
But...

Just like those college students who settle for a quick and easy meal, I often resist "feeding" on God's Word, even though I know it's precious and good for me.  I'm lazy and will settle for "instant gratification" and not the Word of Life. 

Lord, forgive me.  
Your word is a lamp to my feet and a light to my path.            Psalm 119:105
Give me a hunger for Your word, and the will, desire, ability, to take it in, every day...and to be grateful, to praise You for it.  Amen.
Open your mouth wide, and I will fill it.  Psalm 81:10b




1 comment:

  1. I'm pretty sure I deliberately never bought myself instant ramen in undergrad. But I used to keep some in my desk in grad school just in case I didn't bring lunch.

    ReplyDelete