Sunday, May 20, 2018

Eyeglasses, Time, and Dust

I've had the same eye doctor for many years.  He does a great job, and he's so predictable.  After every check-up, and before telling me how my eyes are doing, he always says, "And time marches on."

 
Of course, what he's saying isn't positive.  He's saying that I'm getting older, and my eyesight isn't getting any better; it's getting worse. 

This came to mind recently when I was praying through Psalm 103.
As for man, his days are like grass; he flourishes like a flower of the field; for the wind passes over it, and it is gone, and its place knows it no more.  Psalm 103:15-16
Time marches on... 

Since the day of my birth, time has been marching on, marching on to the grave, to "no more."
...What is your life? For you are a mist that appears for a little time and then vanishes.  James 4:14 
It's the curse of Adam...
...for you are dust, and to dust you shall return.  Genesis 3:19
And the cry of Paul...and of me...
Wretched man that I am! Who will deliver me from this body of death?  Romans 7:24 
I often pray Psalm 103 from memory, but I sometimes mistakenly leave out these verses that David also prayed...
As a father shows compassion to his children, so the Lord shows compassion to those who fear him.  For he knows our frame; he remembers that we are dust.  Psalm 103:13-14
He knows my frame; He knows how fragile I am; He knows that I'm dust.

Even as I'm aging, as my body is failing, He knows I'm fragile...and He shows me His compassion.   

But not only my physical body, my spiritual body is also corrupted, dying because of my sin nature 

And again, David reminds me where to look; it's my Lord...
...who forgives all your iniquity, who heals all your diseases, who redeems your life from the pit, who crowns you with steadfast love and mercy.  Psalm 103:3-4  
At the cross and with the empty tomb, Jesus defeated sin and death.  He showed me His greatest compassion, mercy, and love in forgiving my sins and giving me eternal life.

"Time marches on" doesn't sound so bad - might even be a little comforting, as "Time marches on to eternity"...because my Lord knows, He loves, He cares, and...
My flesh and my heart may fail, but God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever.  Psalm 73:26
Time marches on...Amen...Come Lord Jesus...




No comments:

Post a Comment