Monday, May 15, 2017

Praying for my church...

Above all, keep loving one another earnestly, since love covers a multitude of sins. 
1 Peter 4:8

My church has a beautiful sanctuary and a gorgeous stained-glass window.  I've spent many evenings and hours, alone, praying in that sanctuary.  

 
Being there is comforting.  It's also scary, with creaks filling the emptiness...I often peek back at the choir loft, expecting someone to be up there.
 
Eventually, I look at the empty pews, noting where everyone sits...then I pull out my church directory and start praying for the people who will worship there come Sunday morning.

I pray for the faithful widow, who still sits in the same spot as she sat with her husband.

I pray for the man who's now in a wheelchair. 

I pray for the young family with kids - the kids who can't sit still, and the mother who's often in the nursery with one of her kids.

I pray for the mother sitting alone with her children.

I pray for that one couple who never miss a service.

I pray for the family who sit behind us and can sing, helping me also to sing.

I pray for the many multi-generational families we have.  

I pray for the married man who comes alone. 

I pray for our shut-ins, whose spots are now empty or are beginning to be filled by new members.

I pray for the visitors, who often sit near the back, close to the exit.

I pray for the family who's been missing lately - Where are they?

I pray for my pastor, that he's encouraged and his faith strengthened, even as he serves us.

I pray for our elders who help serve communion each week.

I pray for those who help set-up communion, and the ushers and greeters who also ensure that the service runs smoothly.

I pray for all of our married couples, that they will have strong, faithful marriages and children and grandchildren who keep the Christian faith.  

I pray for all our children to keep and grow in their faith.

I pray for our young members who are away at college or who are serving in the military.

I pray that, as a church family, we will know, love, and care for each other.  I ask forgiveness for those many times when I've fail to show that love.

I pray that God will provide for and meet all our needs, individual, family, and church needs.  

I pray that He gives us a heart to serve outside the church.  I pray that He will do good things with our service to others.

I pray for those relationships that need care and healing.  
 
I thank God that He has forgiven my sins and our sins, and that, through the blood of Jesus, He has made us, who are not a people and not a family, into a family, His family, His church.

I pray that my church family members will know God's peace and will grow in their faith, in their love for each other, and in their love for others, outside of the church.
    
In all of this, I pray for His will, not mine, to be done.  In Jesus' name. 
Amen.


No comments:

Post a Comment