Thursday, December 8, 2016

Dog Tags and What You Believe

Just saw another sign for a Community Church.  And I understand that.  When I entered the military at age 18, I wrote “Christian” on my dog tags form.  That was a mistake; “Christian” was not a choice.  I was sent to a Marine Captain to explain and to pick an approved denomination.  No kidding.

Non-denominational churches are growing in popularity.  In my local homeschool group, many families request recommendations for a conservative church, almost always non-denominational.  Their reasoning is, “I want to follow what the Bible teaches and not a denomination.”

The problem is...different people and churches have different views on what the Bible actually teaches, and each church has to believe and teach something.  Let me say that again, “Each church has to believe and teach something.” 

Non-denominational churches normally don’t like creeds - however, if you read their websites, they have a belief statement that reads like a creed.  In fact, most of these
statements are in line with the Apostles’ Creed and the Nicene Creed.  

Non-denominational churches also “take positions” on various Christian issues.  In researching these positions, Ive noticed that the churches tend to have a Baptist/Wesleyan mix of teachings - believers baptism with a focus on living a moral, happy Christian life.
 
As a youth, I attended a Baptist church where baptism was practiced as an ordinance for believer’s or for those who had “made a decision.”  Looking back, I realize that believer’s baptism was taken for granted, and we never studied the Bible to confirm it.  Instead, we interpreted verses in light of the believer’s baptism position. 

As an adult, I was surprised to read Peter’s direction to his listeners after his Pentecost sermon:

Repent and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of your sins, and you will receive the gift of the Holy Spirit.  Acts 2:38 
I had never thought that the answer to, How do I know my sins are forgiven? is Im baptized.  I thought baptism was more an act of obedience and a witness to others.  But there it is in Gods Word.

And, Ive since noted important teachings in many Bible passages that I had previously overlooked.

I wonder what the non-denominational appeal is.  When I was young, I attended church without my family, and I had no belonging associated with the Baptist church.  I felt like I just belonged to the Christian church.  Perhaps many young people also lack a family history of church attendanceIt even sounds American to be non-denominational.

I think Generic Christianis a better name for these churches, since the teachings vary from church to church, and often change within the same church.  You never know what you might get, and a new leader can mean a new focus, and new teachings.  

Maybe the military was onto something.  You cant just be Christian.

3 comments:

  1. Wow. You explain it perfectly. Praise God for your post. God bless you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yuliana, thanks for reading, commenting, and sharing. Blessings on your day and God's peace, always.

      Delete
  2. It's American to believe in one's own internal formulation of Christianity, since "knowledge" is something accessible to everyone now. Why get it through some stale authority? Often when my graduate student friends ask me some doctrinal question, and I say I haven't thought about it so I'd want to look it up first or ask my pastor, they'll respond with, "I don't want to hear what your pastor thinks; I want to know what *you* think." The implication is that my reasoning - really my feelings - ought to be just as legitimate as a pastor's, when that in fact is false. We are to be careful with God's Word, and not all of us are to teach.

    ReplyDelete