Wednesday, November 23, 2016

What Do You Want For Christmas?

My son Scott and I used to go on runs together as part of our homeschool PE.  Scott was about 12 and loved to talk and babble.  About 30 seconds into every run, he’d ask, “So who do you want to win Survivor? And what do you want for Christmas?”  My Survivor response changed week-to-week, but my Christmas response became, “Peace and quiet and a good book.” 

And through the years, I continued to answer, “Peace and quiet and a good book.”  Seriously, I was homeschooling three sons.  Peace and quiet was in short supply.

In 2011, Scott left for college, and, with only one son at home, I changed my Christmas request.  I told my husband and sons, “I want each of you to write me a list of ten special memories you have of our family, and three things I can pray for you.” 

The boys weren’t too enthusiastic about this gift, but my husband said, “We’re going to give your mother what she wants.”  He took them to the store and had them buy greeting cards to write their lists on.

In general, I don’t remember Christmas gifts given or received in past years, especially more than a couple of years back.  I bet that’s the case for most people.  But I remember that year and those cards, and I know exactly where those cards are.


Some of their memories include:
  • Running the Double Deuce - a 2-mile race, starting just before midnight on New Year's Eve
  • Going to Maple Donuts after painting all day
  • The Cow in the Basement
  • The Crappy Hotel in Odessa
My husband actually found a card with cherries on the front to remind us of our visit to the Grand Canyon when we got sick eating cherries.

Even today, I laugh and tear-up when I read those cards or share them with my family.  They are cherished presents because they represent a giving of self.

And the ultimate gift, the best present, the one that matters most, was given by the One who gave Himself as a ransom for many, the One whose birth we celebrate during Christmas and the One whose return we await.

So, next time someone asks, “What do you want for Christmas?” think of what that person means to you and what it might be cool to get, to enjoy from them or to do with them...and, every now and then, give one of those gifts.




No comments:

Post a Comment