Wednesday, October 19, 2016

Voting for President

I confess...I haven't watched any of the presidential debates, interviews, or commentaries.  But I know many Christians are worried about the upcoming presidential election,  so here’s my food for thought...



Question: 
What is your starting part in considering how to vote

Your answer might include: military and security issues, the economy, abortion, immigration, gun control, Constitution concerns, or a candidate's character and experience.


While these are all valid points, the Bible doesn't tell us how to vote.  But, God’s Word does speak about government:

Let every person be subject to the governing authorities. For there is no authority except from God, and those that exist have been instituted by God.  Romans 13:1
First of all, then, I urge that supplications, prayers, intercessions, and thanksgivings be made for all people, for kings and all who are in high positions, that we may lead a peaceful and quiet life, godly and dignified in every way.        1 Timothy 2:1-2

In other words, leaders are in their position because of God. The government is instituted by God and is in place for our good and the good of society.  And a well-ordered, law-abiding society helps the spread of the gospel.
 

Regarding the law, Jesus said that, after loving God, the second great commandment is:
You shall love your neighbor as yourself.  Matthew 22:39
Keeping in mind God's Word about government and His command to love, I'd like to propose a new starting point for voting.  What about voting for the candidate who will best help our neighbor and our neighbor's needs? 

Hmm...The first time I heard that, I was stumped.  All the issues went "out the window" and I was left thinking about neighbors. 




“Who’s my neighbor” brings a different answer for each Christian.  I think of the years I lived in California and saw people who were probably illegal immigrants, working illegally.  We used to joke that these people lived on the golf course near our apartment - they probably did.  On Saturdays, I’d see them at the convenience store, getting groceries and buying money orders to send home to their families.  They were my neighbors.



Now, thinking of voting for “the candidate who would best serve my neighbor” has changed my entire perspective.  Instead of focusing on the election, I think about living as a Christian, about serving my neighbor.  Having to weigh all the election issues isn't a burden anymore.  I can relax and let the unsolvable issues go. 

So this year I'll consider the candidates and vote.  But I'll also recognize God working in the process; I'll rest in His peace, His forgiveness, knowing that He's in control.  He gives me all I need, in Christ, and frees me to serve others.

And those who know your name put their trust in you, for you, O Lord, have not forsaken those who seek you.            Psalm 9:10

1 comment:

  1. Oh no, you talked about it...

    Romans 13 and Matthew 22:39 are indeed exactly what we should be thinking about as Christians. I've been thinking for a while that this is what the "vote your conscience" people miss.

    ReplyDelete