Friday, October 14, 2016

A Man of Prayer - Keith Barnett

About prayer, we Christians know that God commands us to pray.  

Rejoice always, pray without ceasing, give thanks in all circumstances...1 Thessalonians 5:16-18

And what does God do?  He promises to hear and answer our prayers.

And this is the confidence that we have toward him, that if we ask anything according to his will he hears us.  1 John 5:14

Praying is a big part of the Christian faith, and God is faithful; we just don’t know how He answers.  Often a chance occurrence brings an answer.  Or after a long struggle, we see an answer and understand.  And sometimes death happens, and we don’t understand, but still know He’s faithful.

Many people knew Keith as a musician.  I knew him as a man of prayer.  For over 3 years, I regularly attended prayer meetings at First Saint John’s in York, PA, and that’s where I met Keith.  Keith and I were kindred souls - Lutherans from Baptist backgrounds.  At one meeting, when only the two of us were present, we spent a good hour talking about our faith journeys and sharing how much we loved and appreciated Lutheran teachings. 

Praying aloud means sharing with other Christians your personal relationship with God.  It requires being intimate and vulnerable; you can't be fake before God...maybe that’s why so many people don’t like to pray out loud.  It’s not a comfortable thing for me either.  But, I value the times I prayed with Keith.

Keith often started his prayers with parts of the Lord’s Prayer.  He prayed simply, with passion and trust.  And he was always gracious.  On one occasion I remember him saying, “Kathy’s going to close the prayer?  I love it when Kathy prays.”  I was somewhat embarrassed, but also encouraged by his words.  


My tears are not for Keith, but for me.  We live in a sinful, broken world and life is hard.  When Christians share faith and prayers, those times are precious.  Keith, I loved it when you prayed.

...“For thine is the kingdom and the power and the glory forever and ever.  Amen”

No comments:

Post a Comment