Friday, October 28, 2016

Money and the Weightier Matters

Contrary to what many people believe, money doesn't guarantee a better life and really can’t change the world.  Likewise, a church can have unlimited resources, all the bells and whistles, and still have empty pews.  God doesn’t change the world with money - He changes hearts. 
And I will give you a new heart, and a new spirit I will put within you. And I will remove the heart of stone from your flesh and give you a heart of flesh.  Ezekiel 36:26
In our New Member class this Sunday, my pastor shared his personal struggles with donating.  Two lessons he learned: 
 

1. Giving is about trusting God to provide.
...to “have a god” is to have something in which the heart entirely trusts.  Large Catechism, Part 1, The First Commandment
Because money meets our needs and brings security, donating money is difficult and risky.  Giving that money away means trusting God.
 

2. Consistent monetary giving is only the beginning of stewardship.
Woe to you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! For you tithe mint and dill and cumin, and have neglected the weightier matters of the law: justice and mercy and faithfulness. These you ought to have done, without neglecting the others.  Matthew 23:23
Donating money is the easiest way to give.  Writing a check is simple, and we know the exact cost of the gift.  Giving beyond money, giving of self, is risky.

When my kids were little, I was obsessed with saving money.  While grocery shopping, I would watch the items being rung-up, and note any pricing mistakes.  I often got free stuff, since stores routinely don’t charge for items that are wrongly priced.
 

And then it happened; God changed my heart.
 
When I quit watching prices, I started noticing people.  Now, I probably spend a little more money, and it might take me longer to shop, but I've gained, and I've given.

For example... 

One evening, Jen, a cashier and Roman Catholic, shared with me that, because of divorce, the church wouldn't give her communion.  Right there in the check-0ut line, with people waiting behind me, I told her that Jesus died for even that sin, divorce, as I made the sign of the cross over her.  


It just happened.  I didn't even know “that” was something I could give.  

Money can't buy forgiveness of sins, only Jesus can and did.  And somehow, with that forgiveness, He changes our hearts, helps us to trust Him, and frees us to give in ways that change lives.  And, it's all gift from Him.




2 comments:

  1. I don't remember you being that careful about prices when you took me with you shopping for groceries. I guess I wasn't paying attention.

    That's cool you did that for Jen. Not that you want to get into a huge discussion here, but - I'd probably think it okay if Jen didn't get back with her husband, but I'd have to think harder if she decided to remarry. Got any resources you'd recommend looking at for this?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It wasn't her divorce - her husband had a divorce.

      Yes, I was ridiculously careful with prices - knew the price of everything and made notes on my lists.

      Delete