Saturday, February 1, 2020

Leadership - By the Book

When I was a Marine First Lieutenant, stationed at Parris Island, South Carolina, one of my husband's close friends was Mike Ettore, a Marine Captain also stationed at Parris Island.  I occasionally talked to Mike - he was in charge of all the Rifle Ranges.  And although I really didn't know him, I knew that Mike had a reputation among the other officers - and whether you liked him or not, you respected him.

Last fall, I saw that Mike wrote a book - Trust-Based Leadership.  And the book packs a wallop in both substance and weight.  It's one of the heaviest paperbacks I've ever read!

Mike is a decorated combat veteran who, after his military service, became a leader in the business world.  One would expect that his book would be about being rugged and gritty, about a person who can stand fearless in front of a group, who's the ugliest and scariest fighter around, ready to lead his Marines into combat.

Or, people might think that military leadership is about being popular with the troops, always being right, and having lots of awards.

But very early in the book, Mike makes the point that "the average Marine leader is much more flexible, agile-minded, and 'business-ready' than the stereotypes promoted by Hollywood movies or the individuals who harbor...anti-military bias would have you believe." (page 12)

And surprisingly, he states what I also believe, that "Leaders exist solely to serve and enable those whom they are privileged to lead," and that "Leadership is always about service."  (page 43) 

And this is nothing new.  Jesus also taught good leadership in the same manner.
But whoever would be great among you must be your servant, and whoever would be first among you must be your slave, even as the Son of Man came not to be served but to serve, and to give his life as a ransom for many.            Matthew 20:26–28
Likewise, Paul wrote:
Do nothing from selfish ambition or conceit, but in humility count others more significant than yourselves.           Philippians 2:3
Love one another with brotherly affection. Outdo one another in showing honor.  Romans 12:10
Mike also compares leadership to parenting, echoing General Lejeune who taught "a parental relationship based on care, service, camaraderie, and mutual respect." (page 78)

I always tell people that when I was a Battalion Supply Officer at Camp Pendleton, I had about 15 Marines, and I was their mother.  At the same time, my husband was a Battalion Motor Transport Officer, he had about 60 Marines, and he was their mother.

During that time, I know that I cared deeply for my Marines.  I wanted them to learn and do well, and become independent, so they wouldn't even need me.  That was my goal.

Leadership really does come down to:
  • Having a high degree of personal integrity and character
  • Being knowledgeable and proficient in your area
  • And especially caring for and respecting your people, training and developing them
I like how Mike states it, "If you show people that you care about them - that you truly care- they'll usually respond in kind."  (page 92)





No comments:

Post a Comment