Saturday, January 25, 2020

God's Sanctuary

Yesterday afternoon I served at a military funeral, and it was cold.  The wind chill was 20°, and beforehand we were all sitting in our cars waiting for the funeral procession to arrive.  I was restless, so I put my overcoat on and got out of the car.  

I was parked near a barren field on the edge of the cemetery, and the sun was starting to get low.  I stood there, looking over the field, feeling the biting wind, and I started to pray.  

I prayed about the things on my mind; I prayed some scripture; I prayed the Lord's Prayer.  And as I stood there miserably cold and amidst the dead, I was alone with my Lord, my God, and I thought, "At this moment, there's no place I'd rather be than right here."  It was a moment of pure contentment.


From Sunday's sermon notes, I have written, "People are looking for something that's real, true, and deep."   That's so accurate.  It seems that people are always searching for fulfillment in life, for satisfaction, enjoyment, entertainment.  

We even make "bucket lists" of things to do or places to visit before we die, as if doing those things will make our lives complete and meaningful.  

Or maybe it's that entertainment and fun is all a distraction that helps us forget that life is hard and we all face death.  I don't know.  

I do know that all the "stuff of life" pales in comparison to the Lord, to His Word, His truth, His promise to be with me, to hear my prayers, to forgive my sins...His promise of eternal life.
How lovely is your dwelling place, O LORD of hosts!
My soul longs, yes, faints for the courts of the LORD;
my heart and flesh sing for joy to the living God.
Psalm 84:1–2
I know this to be true.  He's right there. 
When I thought, “My foot slips,”
your steadfast love, O LORD, held me up.
When the cares of my heart are many,
 your consolations cheer my soul. 

                    Psalm 94:18–19
I often plan to spend time in prayer, in Bible reading, and I always think, "I'll get to it in a bit," only to never "get to it."  But I've learned it's best to seize those moments to pray, to spend time with the Lord whenever and wherever the opportunity exists.
Oh, taste and see that the LORD is good!
Blessed is the man who takes refuge in him!
Oh, fear the LORD, you his saints,
for those who fear him have no lack!
 Psalm 34:8–9


No comments:

Post a Comment