Sunday, May 12, 2019

The Heart of Evangelism

Next month, I'm attending an Evangelism workshop.  It's called, "Sharing the Simple Gospel in a Complex World."

After I RSVP'd, I mentally listed the topics the workshop might cover:  neighborhood interactions, workplace discussions, church outreach events, relationships, social media, gender issues.

The workshop will probably include a session on actually sharing the gospel with people, preparing to "give a defense" of the Christian faith.

But when I think about Evangelism, I always think of Nuriye.                (pronounced "ner-ee- ā")
ā

Read more at: http://www.proteacher.net/discussions/showthread.php?t=263813
Copyright © ProTeacher (proteacher.net)
ā

Read more at: http://www.proteacher.net/discussions/showthread.php?t=263813
Copyright © ProTeacher (proteacher.net)

Many years ago, I had a neighbor who was from a middle-eastern country.  She and I were about the same age, we both had young children, and I spent many mornings just sitting in her house, chatting and drinking tea, or chai as she called it.  

And then Nuriye, her mother, came to visit.  Nuriye was a widow, and she lived overseas, in a non-Christian country.  She didn't speak or understand English.

Still I got to know her.  She called me "Katty" and I learned a few words in her language. 

Nuriye loved to cook and to have people eat her food.  I remember watching her roll out phyllo dough for Baklava!  I'd never even realized that a person could make phyllo dough from scratch.

I was doing yard work the day Nuriye walked across the street to tell me goodbye.  Her visa was up, and she was returning home.   

Nuriye wanted to ask me something before she left.  My friend translated for her, "She wants to know why you are the way you are."  

Nuriye's dark brown eyes looked at me, as she waited for my answer.

And to my shame and regret, I didn't share the gospel with Nuriye.  I didn't tell her about my own sin and struggles, how Jesus came into this world and died for my sins and hers, and how He's the One who made me who I am, the One who changed me and my heart.

Instead, I thought of my life and my accomplishments and why I'm different from other people.  I said something about being in the military.  And that was that.  She left for the airport, and I never saw her again.

I often think about that encounter.  

I was a baptized Christian and involved with a local church.  I just didn't realize that it was God and His Word who made me the way I am, who gave me a new heart.  That was not a part of my thinking.
Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation. The old has passed away; behold, the new has come.                               2 Corinthians 5:17
I'm not sure when it happened or how, but now it's like I have "Jesus on the brain."  It's where my thinking goes.
 

Last year, I wrote a personal definition of missional:
No matter what I'm doing in my life - that I'm a Christian is on my mind - and I relate to everyone and every situation with that in mind.
While I hope to learn something and to get ideas at this workshop, I know that my greatest Evangelism tool is that my God has changed my heart.  And He's given me "Jesus on the brain" so that I'm always aware of Him.
And let the peace of Christ rule in your hearts, to which indeed you were called in one body. And be thankful. Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly, teaching and admonishing one another in all wisdom, singing psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, with thankfulness in your hearts to God.  And whatever you do, in word or deed, do everything in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through him.  Colossians 3:15–17


No comments:

Post a Comment