Sunday, May 19, 2019

"The Code" and "The Church"

CBS's new drama, The Code, revolves around a group of Marine officers who are part of the JAG Corps - they're military lawyers.  

The Marine Corps is part of my culture, of who I am, so I tuned in to watch.  I was curious to see how the show's writers and directors would portray Marines.

The first thing I noted was that the main characters sometimes act and speak in a nerdy, stereotypical manner.  No!  Marines don't act and talk like that.

The second thing I noted was numerous uniform blunders.  The collar rank insignias are sometimes misplaced, the ribbons and badges are inconsistently worn, and the khaki shirts are ridiculously tight. 

And I'm annoyed.  Instead of listening and following the plot, I'll notice the material that's puckered under the captain's bars, and I'll visually measure those bars for correct placement.  I'll also compare the main characters' uniforms to the extras' uniforms.

As I've thought about this and how I'm distracted by these mistakes, I'm reminded of the church and our Christian culture.

When circumstances in the church and in Christianity bother and distract me, I focus on those mistakes, on what's not right.  I struggle to think, to respond, and to speak in a Christian manner.  And I miss what's going on around me.  I miss God's truth, His love, His forgiveness.  I miss opportunities to love other people.  I miss growing in my faith. 

But there's a big difference in my reaction to problems with The Code and in my reaction to the church and faith issues.   

The Code is just a Marine thing.  I'm pretty certain that I'll always be bothered, and rightly so, when Marines are portrayed incorrectly.

But issues in the church, with faith, and in my life, they're a sin thing.  Because of my sin nature and indwelling sin, I'm certain I'll always be bothered by stuff in my life and stuff around me, but not rightly so.

This is God's Law.  His word says,
None is righteous, no, not one; no one understands; no one seeks for God.  Romans 3:10–11
For by works of the law no human being will be justified in his sight, since through the law comes knowledge of sin.  Romans 3:20
The law convicts me for being irritated, for judging others, for always focusing on what's wrong, for not trusting in God.

And this is where the gospel comes in.  
For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God.  Ephesians 2:8
When I can't and when I don't see things correctly, when I complain and get angry, my Lord still loves me, still saves, still gives me faith.  It's all a gift from Him.  

And in the midst of it all, He gives me His peace.
Peace I leave with you; my peace I give to you. Not as the world gives do I give to you. Let not your hearts be troubled, neither let them be afraid.  John 14:27



No comments:

Post a Comment