Sunday, April 14, 2019

The Curse and God's Promise

Last week, after posting my article On Women and Babies, I went to see the movie Unplanned.  

I knew the film was about a Planned Parenthood worker who has a change of heart about abortion.  I was expecting something wholesome and predictable, similar to the Kendrick brothers' movies (Facing the Giants, Fireproof).


I was wrong.

Unplanned is based on the book and life of Abby Johnson, and is well-written, well-acted, and impactful.  The movie drew me into the story, and it moved me emotionally.

The film is rated "R" and it's described as graphic, but I disagree with that adjective.  

Together, the words "graphic" and "abortion" evoke a very specific picture -  a bloody, aborted baby.  The movie didn't go in that direction.

I believe all women can and will relate to what I'm about to say.  

I've experienced monthly pain, cramps, and bleeding.  I've had accidents and close-calls.  I've given birth three times, and there's nothing "pretty" about fertility, pregnancy, and birth - it's messy.  

But this isn't something we talk about.  With today's medicine, sanitary items, and birth control options - the whole process is now "clean" and "sanitized."  The reality of what women live with and experience - it's covered up.  We pretend it doesn't happen.

As I watched Unplanned, the reality, the shame, and dirtiness of what befalls women's bodies - it hit home with me.

And I go back to man's fall into sin and God's Words to Eve:
I will surely multiply your pain in childbearing; in pain you shall bring forth children.  Genesis 3:16a
From Genesis on, God ordains this.  Bringing forth children is both bloody and painful.  Life can't be divorced from the reality of the fall. 

But!!!  Lest I forget, it's also in Genesis that God says to Satan: 
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heel.  Genesis 3:15
Jesus - He came into this cursed world, in that manner, in blood, pain, and shame.
But when the fullness of time had come, God sent forth his Son, born of woman, born under the law, to redeem those who were under the law, so that we might receive adoption as sons.  Galatians 4:4–5
Even as women bring life into this world in blood, pain, and shame, so Jesus, even more so and perfectly, He saved us and gives us life, and He did it at the cross through His own blood, pain, and shame.   
But he was pierced for our transgressions; he was crushed for our iniquities; upon him was the chastisement that brought us peace, and with his wounds we are healed.        Isaiah 53:5


No comments:

Post a Comment