Sunday, April 7, 2019

Peter and Me

I've been reading 1st and 2nd Peter, and thinking a lot about Peter.

Peter's definitely my favorite apostle.  He's clearly the leader of the twelve apostles, but he also speaks and acts on impulse.

Peter's the one who tried to walk on water.  He also argued with Jesus until Jesus told him, "Get behind me, Satan." 

At the Mount of Transfiguration, Peter suggested that they build three tents and stay on the mountain.  Not long afterwards, Peter even cut off a man's ear.

And then there's Peter's relationship with Paul. 

As recorded in Galatians 2, Paul accuses Peter of acting self-righteously:
I opposed him to his face, because he stood condemned.  Galatians 2:11b
Although the Bible is silent on their reconciliation, Peter speaks of Paul in one of his letters, and it's clear that they did reconcile.

As I think about Peter's stupid acts and words, and his relationship issues, I'm both convicted and relieved.   You see, life's hard and it's full of conflict and situations in which I can and do act stupidly.

Sin and failure are awkward and humiliating.  It's hard to "face" people who've seen you fail, and it's hard to reconcile those strained relationships.

But again, I look to Peter.  In his biggest failure, Peter denied knowing Jesus, not once, but three times. 

Peter was in despair, and he cried when he recognized his own sin, that he'd denied his Christ.   

But it's in those moments of despair, despair and shame over sin, that the sweetness of the cross is best known.

There's no greater feeling than to stand before the throne of Jesus, to confess real sin, and to know His forgiveness and His love.

Jesus came to take away our sin and shame, to let us know the love of God; He came to give us hope.  And Peter knew that hope.
Simon Peter answered him, “Lord, to whom shall we go? You have the words of eternal life,  and we have believed, and have come to know, that you are the Holy One of God.”       John 6:68-69
Peter knew Jesus's love and forgiveness, and he was emboldened to tell people about Jesus: 
...you were ransomed from the futile ways inherited from your forefathers, not with perishable things such as silver or gold,  but with the precious blood of Christ, like that of a lamb without blemish or spot.  1 Peter 1:18-19
...Christ also suffered once for sins, the righteous for the unrighteous, that he might bring us to God, being put to death in the flesh but made alive in the spirit.  1 Peter 3:18
And it's in knowing my sin, my weakness, my shame, and in receiving His forgiveness, that, like Peter, I'm strengthened to also speak the gospel's truth to others.  I'm strengthened to share my weakness, my struggles, to ask for and to know forgiveness, and to love and to forgive other people.



No comments:

Post a Comment