Sunday, February 17, 2019

On Whom Do You Put Your Trust?

The Assyrians pose this question to the Israelites and to King Hezekiah: 
On what do you rest this trust of yours?  Isaiah 36:4b
Previously, while in the wilderness for forty years, the Israelites were forced to trust in the Lord, and He provided for them.

They didn't have to work the ground for their food, because their daily bread rained down from heaven.  They didn't spin to make their clothes, because their clothes and their shoes didn't wear out.


So knowing about God's provision in previous situations, King Hezekiah could pray and trust that God would provide in the current crisis.

But what about me?
On what do you rest this trust of yours?  Isaiah 36:4b
...it's a question we all should ask ourselves.

It's easy to say that I trust in my God especially when life is going well.  When I'm provided for, when everyone is healthy...well, God is good and I trust Him.

But when something disrupts my life, even in a small way, suddenly trust isn't so easy.

I want to trust my Lord, especially when life is uncomfortable and uncertain, or when tragedy hits.

I want to trust when I struggle with my own sins.

But my flesh fights against bringing God's Word to mind.  It fights against remembering the gospel.

In these difficult situations, how do I find trust and peace, or do I find it?

Like Hezekiah, I've learned and I've experienced that my Lord can be trusted.  When I've cried out and prayed, even about crazy things or hard things, He's answered.  
Answer me when I call, O God of my righteousness!  You have given me relief when I was in distress.  Be gracious to me and hear my prayer!  Psalm 4:1   
Sometimes His answer isn't the answer I'm looking for; but His answer is always better and often surprising.

And it's reading and hearing His Word that remind me that He's faithful; it's His Word that pushes me to remember, to know, to trust Him.  It's His Word and truth that give me comfort.  
What then shall we say to these things? If God is for us, who can be against us?  He who did not spare his own Son but gave him up for us all, how will he not also with him graciously give us all things?  Romans 8:31–32
And that's the most surprising answer, that God didn't spare His own Son.
For the word of the cross is folly to those who are perishing, but to us who are being saved it is the power of God.                 1 Corinthians 1:18
On whom do you put your trust?  I look to the crucified, the risen, the ascended Christ.  I look to Jesus. 
I have been crucified with Christ. It is no longer I who live, but Christ who lives in me. And the life I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me.  Galatians 2:20




No comments:

Post a Comment