Sunday, February 10, 2019

Groundhog Day - Is it Worth the Trip?

It wasn't until I moved to Pennsylvania that I learned that Groundhog Day was a real thing.  I'd seen the movie about the man who lived February 2nd over and over again, but I didn't understand what the day was about until I tuned in and watched the live celebration from Punxsutawney, Pennsylvania.

At 6am, on the morning of February 2nd, anywhere from 10,000 to 20,000 people gather at Gobbler's Knob, the place where Phil, the famous groundhog, sleeps.  It's cold, dark, and crowded.  

And it's a big party.  There's the National Anthem; there's fireworks with Star Wars music, and singing and dancing.  The celebration part lasts about 90 minutes.

But what's the draw?  Is it worth the trip to see a groundhog predict the weather?

I confess.  Although I rarely miss a Sunday service, I don't always want to go to church.  The novelty of attending - especially of being at the same church with the same people, year after year - that novelty wears off.  

Living and worshiping with other sinners - and people living with me, another sinner - it's not always fun or comfortable.  It's not a party like Groundhog Day.

But neither is a church service based on folklore or legend.  A worship service has substance, and God's Word is read and preached.
All Scripture is breathed out by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, and for training in righteousness, that the man of God may be complete, equipped for every good work.  2 Timothy 3:16–17
In the church, I hear about His love and forgiveness for me, His love for other people.  And I learn to love and to forgive.  

It's not the fun and exciting events that grow and sustain faith.  It's the week after week after week, the worship, the feeding, the fellowship, the struggles - these build faith and are my reality.  

And while there's nothing wrong with doing something fun... well, worshiping the King of Kings, the Creator of the Universe, my Savior and Lord Jesus - that's a big deal and worth the trip every Sunday. 
Let us hold fast the confession of our hope without wavering, for he who promised is faithful.  And let us consider how to stir up one another to love and good works, not neglecting to meet together, as is the habit of some, but encouraging one another, and all the more as you see the Day drawing near. Hebrews 10:23–25



No comments:

Post a Comment