Tuesday, January 2, 2018

Unplug It And Plug It Back In?

Recently, my car's heating and audio controls quit working.  The settings were stuck on high heat and an "oldies" radio station.  And, at about the same time, my exercise bike display began shorting out.  

I was thinking, "Take car to get fixed and buy a new exercise bike." 

Then, my son Scott found a youtube video on car consoles.  With a few simple tools, he unhooked some wires and disconnected the system, then he hooked it back up.   

The system reset itself, and in less than ten minutes, problem solved!  I could change the radio station, and adjust heat in the car.  In like manner and even less time, Scott fixed my exercise bike.

The "go to" fix these days seems to be, "Unplug it and plug it back in."  We've all experienced that with computers, and it works.

I got to thinking, "Wouldn't it be great if we could do that with relationship issues?"  I could just reset the situation, as if the conflict never occurred.  That would make life more pleasant.

But..as much as I hate my sin and regret many of the things I say, and as uncomfortable as relationship issues are...I know there's value and growth in knowing and confessing my own failures.
If we say we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us. If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.  1 John 1:8-9
My sin shows me my inability to act correctly and my need for forgiveness - that I need Jesus and His work on the cross.

When I'm honest with myself and my God, and confess my sins to Him, ask for His mercy, and receive His forgiveness, my heart is tenderized.

I glimpse the treasures of the cross, and see other people with new eyes.  I'm able to love and forgive them, as I've been forgiven.  Mutual trust and depth of relationships are built on that love and forgiveness. 

The Way of the Cross is not to "unplug it and plug it back in."

I can't pull the plug on all the hurts I've caused others, and I can't unplug myself, and get rid of the scars I've received.  

But I can return to the cross, again and again, asking forgiveness and forgiving others, and learning to love them as Jesus loves me.
Be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, as God in Christ forgave you.  Ephesians 4:32 
You won't find those directions on a youtube video, but hopefully you'll find it in your church.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment