Sunday, January 14, 2018

Is God Real?

In the classic Christmas movie, Miracle on 34th Street, the lawyers ask the judge to make a ruling - "Is there or is there not a Santa Claus?"  Ultimately, the defense lawyer provides "authoritative proof" that his client is in fact Santa Claus.  

But when considering the existence of God, there's no clear-cut evidence or "silver bullet" that persuades and satisfies everybody that God is real.

Over the years, I've read lots of homeschool books dealing with apologetics and defense of the Christian faith.  And I can give sound reasons for the existence of God - based on science, logic, philosophy, history, and theology.

But all those "academic" answers fall short. 

"Is God real?" is a human question, coming from a real person.  The human mind may understand solid facts and arguments for God - while the human heart remains unconvinced.
If I have prophetic powers, and understand all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have all faith, so as to remove mountains, but have not love, I am nothing.                                1 Corinthians 13:2
How would I answer "Is God real?"
Yes, Jesus.
Life's hard and it doesn't always make a lot of sense.  I know me and my faults, and I know that only Jesus has the answer and gives peace. 
Science and logic miss the human factor and don't offer comfort to the hurting soul.
But where the rubber meets the road - there's Jesus.  He came in the flesh, for the forgiveness of sins, so that you may have life.
Peace I leave with you; my peace I give to you. Not as the world gives do I give to you. Let not your hearts be troubled, neither let them be afraid.  John 14:27


No comments:

Post a Comment