Tuesday, October 10, 2017

Navy Football - It's About Love?

Coach Ken at an earlier game

On Saturday, Navy football beat Air Force, 48-45, scoring the go-ahead touchdown with 15 seconds left in the game.  As the game ended, the Brigade of Midshipmen (the student body) and the Navy fans burst into cheer.  Navy had blown a big lead and was just relieved to get the win.  


Afterwards in the locker room, Coach Ken Niumatalolo said this to the players:
The greatest motivation isn’t hate, it isn’t fear. It’s love. I love all of you...Regardless of what I say to you sometimes.
Who knew?  Football is about love!!

When asked about my time as a Marine Corps Officer, I always smile and say, "I love Marines."

Marines can be creatively exasperatingI often gave them blunt guidance.  And I sometimes erred in my rebukes.  But, all in love.

I think that's what Coach Ken was referring to - sometimes the players need his harsh correction, and sometimes he's just too severe.

Nevertheless - Coach Ken loves his Navy players.

From experience, I know that within the military, there's a common identity, goal, and a way-of-life that brings people together and seals our relationships.

And in the midst of struggles, we pull for and support one another.  The military, by its very nature, produces a bond not easily broken.

And so is Christ's church.  Jesus' motivation wasn't hate or fear, but love.  Even though He seemed to be defeated, because of love, He won.

And in that love, the church is bonded together, bonded by His blood, by His death and resurrection.

From top to bottom, the church is full of sinners.  Our call is to love each other, regardless of how we might sometimes treat each other or what we might sometimes say.   

Jesus says to his disciples, to us...
By this all people will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.  John 13:35
Because Jesus came in love, life is about love, even football.  Beat Army!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment