Monday, August 21, 2017

Packing Heat

As a Marine Lieutenant stationed at Camp Pendleton, I was often assigned a 24-hour shift as Area Guard OfficerAt Pendleton's 12/14 Area, I was required to check-out and carry a pistol while on duty.  I thought nothing of it, since wearing the pistol was required.

So when I transferred to the 24 Area at Pendleton,  and was again assigned Guard Officer duty, I checked-out a pistol from the Guard Armory and strapped it on

The Marines on 24 Area Guard were puzzled, thought I was a bit too "gung ho."  None of the other officers wore a pistol, and standard procedures for that area didn't require the Guard Officer to be armed.

But my own Marines, from my Supply Office, were delighted.  Once, while on duty, I ate with them at the chow hall, and they were proud that their Lieutenant was "carrying a pistol."

Truth be told, while on duty, I didn't feel properly dressed or equipped without that pistol.   

Fast forward to the Christian life...

As Christians, no matter our calling, we are always "on duty."  We continually face challenges and are open and vulnerable to sin, Satan, and the evils of this world.  

Likewise, we continually have opportunities for good, to do good works.

But we don't need to carry a "pistol" or some type of religious object.  We are fully equipped, although we may not think so, and we most often aren't even aware of it. 

We have His Word:
All Scripture is breathed out by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, and for training in righteousness, that the man of God may be complete, equipped for every good work. 2 Timothy 3:16-17 
 We have prayer:
 ...and call upon me in the day of trouble; I will deliver you, and you shall glorify me. Psalm 50:15
We have His Spirit:
You know him, for he dwells with you and will be in you. John 14:17 
And more: His truth, righteousness, salvation, gifts and talents...Our Lord promises us many times that we are not alone, that He will be with us and equip us.  He gives us all we need, all standard issue, to carry out His work.

And just like the Marines who noticed my pistol, the world sees something different and takes notice of us Christians when we walk in faith.   

We know today that many people will and do respond to us in angerAnd some are just puzzled as to why we are the way we are.  

But our fellow Christians are encouragedAnd those people who need to hear the message of Jesus, who need to know that their sins are forgiven...they'll respond, be comforted, and believe.


No comments:

Post a Comment