Monday, August 7, 2017

A Willing and Happy Heart?

I recently read a list of tips on avoiding dementia, and I mentally checked "yes" for those items that I do.  It's almost like a report card.  I think all of us read through these types of lists, just to reassure ourselves.

Martin Luther taught that every day we should pray through the Ten Commandments.  It's easy to read those laws and to mentally check "yes" thinking I'm okay with obeying them.  I might covet now and then, but who doesn't - basically I don't really break God's laws.

Commenting on Romans, Martin Luther talks about the true purpose of the law and how people mistakenly think they can obey and satisfy His law...
...not knowing how much the law demands, namely, a willing and happy heart.
Luther's saying that it doesn't matter if you can keep the letter of the law, but your motives and intent must also be correct, your heart must be right.  And Luther didn't make this up.  He got it from Jesus. 
...everyone who is angry with his brother will be liable to judgment....Matthew 5:22
...everyone who looks at a woman with lustful intent has already committed adultery with her in his heart.              Matthew 5:28
Looking back through the Bible...
  • Eve's sin started with delight and desire.
  • Joseph's brothers were jealous of him.
  • David looked on Bathsheba with lust.
  • Jonah was angry with God for showing mercy.
All of these sins come from a hard, sinful heart.  And so it is with us, with me.  I may keep the outward demands of the law, but my heart is not right.  I inherited that from Adam - original sin and my sick heart.

But, Jesus.  The prophets said:
I will remove the heart of stone from their flesh and give them a heart of flesh, that they may walk in my statutes and keep my rules and obey them. And they shall be my people, and I will be their God. Ezekiel 11:19-20
It started with baptism...and continues.  The more I read God's Word, the more I recognize the sickness of my own heart.  I read through those Ten Commandments, confessing that I break them all.  It's the heart of flesh that now recognizes my sin and also sees His goodness and mercy. 
Oh, taste and see that the LORD is good!  Blessed is the man who takes refuge in him! Psalm 34:8

No comments:

Post a Comment