Wednesday, February 8, 2017

"What is a god?"

I recently saw the question, "Would you describe what you believe God is?" with this answer from the Westminster Shorter Catechism:
"God is a Spirit, infinite, eternal, and unchangeable, in his being, wisdom, power, holiness, justice, goodness, and truth."
While that's a true statement, the quote reminds me of math - somewhat impersonal and academicImmediately, I thought of Luther's Large Catechism:
"What does it mean to have a god? Or, what is God? Answer: A god means that from which we are to expect all good and in which we are to take refuge in all distress.  So, to have a God is nothing other than trusting and believing Him with the heart...Now, I say that whatever you set your heart on and put your trust in is truly your god." 
Note the difference in emphasis - the Westminster Catechism gives a definition of God; Luther's writing answers, "What it means to me? And what He means to me?"  

Our "god" is who or what we look to for help, for all good things, for satisfaction.  Some people put their trust in money; some look to their leaders; and many people look to their own efforts and success as their "god." 

But the Christian goes to the Bible for the answer.  And God's Word bears out that He helps and provides for His people.  The Bible has many, many incidents of people calling out to God, and God saving them. 
He raises the poor from the dust and lifts the needy from the ash heap.  Psalm 113:7
And Jesus was always caring for people and meeting their needs.  At one point, when Jesus was being rejected, Peter said to Him:
Lord, to whom shall we go? You have the words of eternal life.  John 6:68
I was outside praying this morning and it occurred to me - I'm praying to and sharing what's on my heart with a person, not with an idea or definition.  An idea does not comfort; a person does.  Jesus said to pray "Our Father."  He also said, "Believe in Me."

He is my God because I put my trust in Him; I trust that Jesus' death on the cross was for my sins.  And, because of that, I know He forgives me and gives me peace with Him.  He's my God and that means He loves me; He listens to me, answers me, provides for me, and comforts me. 
"...to expect all good...to take refuge in all distress..."
 That's our God.

2 comments:

  1. This reminds me of how physicists talk about math: we want it to do something useful with the world - to give a conceptual framework for something real. Here's an interview with V.I. Arnold, a prominent mathematician; at one point he talks about how things go wrong when you try to be too formal with math and not pay attention to what's actually happening. It turns out you literally think in loops - without even realizing you're doing so.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, you can have all knowledge, wisdom, logic and high thinking...and miss what God is doing, that He's dealing with us personally...something greater is going on than intellectual thinking.

      Delete