Wednesday, February 15, 2017

Never the Same Thing Twice

When I was a Marine officer at Parris Island, South Carolina, every 3 or 4 months, I’d get a new series of about 130 recruits, and, I’d spend the weekend reading their autobiographies.  It was futile - I read the stories, but couldn’t envision any of the recruits - they were too many and too different.

I recently read that God never does the same thing twice in people.  We're all unique.

During the past 4 years, I've spoken to just about every visitor who's attended my church.  So many people walk through our doors with different stories, backgrounds, ways of being.  It's crazy and cool. 

I’ve read books and articles with strategies for welcoming visitors.  And I’ve realized there is no “one size fits all” approach. 

Each individual is unique, but is also made in God’s image, and is someone Jesus died for.  I’ve learned to “go with it” with whatever that person needs.  Most of the time, that approach seems good; sometimes, I worry that I've offended.

Our God is the same with us, only better.  His Word is abundant.  By abundant, I don’t mean many words.  I mean His Word is abundant in substance and depth of meaning - so powerful that it speaks the gospel to each of us, His many and varied people, and it addresses all our myriad layers of struggle, and all the needs of our hearts.  I’ve learned that it’s not me who matters to the visitors...it’s Him, His work, and His Word, His love.
Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights, with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change. James 1:17
Even though we’re all different, He is always the same, never changing, always loving and providing, always working in us, always saving, always there.

2 comments:

  1. Were you at Parris Island in 2002? If you were, you would have read my daughter's biography, because that is when she trained there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, I was there earlier than that, although I bet things at 4th Battalion haven't changed much. How's your daughter doing?

      Delete