Wednesday, January 11, 2017

God's Word

A major benefit of growing up Baptist is that Bible reading, Bible knowledge, and memorization are valued and practiced.  I may have not understood the gospel or gotten the big picture, but I read and knew my Bible, and the words I read still live in me and are part of me today.

Bible reading and study is important because God’s Word is powerful.  I am more convinced of this as I continue to read it, to hear it preached, and to hear others share their faith. 

My pastor once said: 

“God’s Word always nourishes.  God's Word is never without effect.”  
I don’t think that means God’s Word is magic - just that it does what it says it will do. 
So shall my word be that goes out from my mouth; it shall not return to me empty, but it shall accomplish that which I purpose, and shall succeed in the thing for which I sent it.  Isaiah 55:11
Consider these examples:

In the very beginning, God speaks, and creation comes into being:

And God said, “Let the earth bring forth living creatures according to their kinds...” And it was so.  Genesis 1:14
Nehemiah records the peoples’ conviction of their own sin: 
For all the people wept as they heard the words of the Law.  Nehemiah 8:9
Martin Luther understood the simplicity and sweetness of the gospel while reading:  
For in it the righteousness of God is revealed from faith for faith, as it is written, “The righteous shall live by faith.”  Romans 1:17
And from Hebrews:
For the word of God is living and active, sharper than any two-edged sword, piercing to the division of soul and of spirit, of joints and of marrow, and discerning the thoughts and intentions of the heart.  Hebrews 4:12
So, when I read my Bible, when I listen to preaching and teaching, when someone shares how faith affects daily life, I am encouraged, and I grow in faith.  Bible reading is nourishing, preaching is effectual, and faith sharing from the heart is precious. 
Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly, teaching and admonishing one another in all wisdom, singing psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, with thankfulness in your hearts to God.  Colossians 3:16

No comments:

Post a Comment