Wednesday, September 28, 2016

Football...and How We Get Where We're Going...

Your eyes saw my substance, being yet unformed. And in Your book they all were written, The days fashioned for me, When as yet there were none of them.  Psalm 139:16


Even though I grew up in Kentucky, where college basketball reigns, I always found something sacred about Saturday football games.  It could have been the parking lot tailgaters, or the crazy fans wearing spirit gear.  Or maybe it was the playing of My Old Kentucky Home, with the entire stadium singing the refrain, “Weep no more my lady...”   
 

To my delight, the atmosphere of Naval Academy football wa equally fulfilling.  For home games, the Brigade, over 4000 midshipmen, marched from Bancroft Hall to Navy Marine Corps Stadium and directly onto the field.  Before kickoff, Navy jets flew over the stadium.   When Navy scored, the cannons sounded while plebes did push-ups. Games always ended with the Brigade singing Navy Blue and Gold, and the cry "Beat Army!"
 

The Naval Academy mission is to train Navy and Marine Corps officers, and football is only a small part of that.  The four Academy years are packed with meal formations, classes, parades, sports, inspections, summer cruises, and numerous challenges - all meant to develop officers morally, mentally, and physically.   

Being at the Naval Academy also means living in the midst of Naval tradition and history.  One of my favorite habits was to head for the library just minutes before sunsetWhen evening colors sounded, I'd stand alone on Stribling Walk, saluting and listening to Taps, as the flag was lowered for the day. 
 
People have lots of reasons for deciding to attend the Naval Academy - to serve in our armed forces, for honor, family tradition, education, the desire to fly Navy jets.  Here's mine - never shared...
 

When I was around 12, I happened to see a televised march-on of the Army Navy football game.  I said to myself, “That is so cool.  I want to do it.”  Several years later, when the first women were admitted to the service academies, I read about a girl from Kentucky who was attending the Naval Academy.  That day, knowing nothing about the military, I decided for Navy.

Unlikely as it may seem, in His "book" God used football to "fashion" my days.  And every fall, I watch, enjoy, remember, and marvel.

Go Navy! Beat Air Force!  Beat Notre Dame! Beat Army!




2 comments:

  1. I think you've told us before about why you went to the Naval Academy; I guess your kids are special. :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe I did and forgot, as Scott would say, "You've told me that."

      Delete