Tuesday, September 6, 2016

A Tribute to Captain Bruce Eric Sonn, USN, Ret.

"Give only love, and say prayers of thanks." - Bruce

Last week, I was saddened to read about the passing of Captain Bruce Eric Sonn, USN, Ret. 

During my last year at the Naval Academy, 1983-1984, then Lieutenant Commander Bruce Sonn was my company officer.  He oversaw about 120 midshipmen and had his office in our living area in Bancroft Hall. 


From my experience, previous company officers had mostly focused on midshipmen who were having academic or performance troubles.  Commander Sonn was different.  He displayed a genuine fatherly concern, wanting to get to know all the midshipmen in the company.  As a typical example, early that year I was placed on light duty with a bad knee injury, and Commander Sonn somehow learned of the injury and came to my room to check on me.  

At the end of that first semester, Commander Sonn met with me for a performance evaluation.  In preparation, he had meticulously compiled info on every aspect of my Academy life, and he pointed out my strengths and areas needing improvement.  I couldn’t believe all the items he noted, many things that I didn’t think were noticed or remembered.  And, he counseled all midshipmen in the company in like manner.

I will always value one particular conversation I had with him.  In December, our company gathered for end-of-semester skits - a time when the underclass poked fun at the leadership.  I was embarrassed that a lot of the skits made fun of my frequent room inspections, my area of responsibility.  Commander Sonn also took some ribbing, especially about his lengthy announcements at morning formations.  Afterwards on the walk back to Bancroft Hall, Commander Sonn caught up with me to say, “You know you’re doing a good job when they make fun of you.”  He meant it as a compliment and as advice that it was okay to laugh along with others, even at my own expense.

From his obituary, “He was the living embodiment of loving one's neighbor as oneself. Even in the hospital, he got to know every doctor, nurse, and custodian, and would ask how they were doing, offering them his support and encouragement.”  That’s the man I also knew.  He modeled and taught that leaders care about people, that they support and encourage others.  


Fair winds and following seas. 

5 comments: