Sunday, July 19, 2020

What's Your Agenda?

I enjoy watching Star Trek shows, but not to see the science fiction and special effects.  I like that Star Trek's writers take our human condition, our everyday issues and cultural problems, and highlight them in a distinct way, in a different environment, and in a way that makes me think.


Lately I've been re-watching episodes of Star Trek - Deep Space NineDeep Space Nine is unique in that it portrays an alien culture's religion as an integral part of the story line.  

And I'm also intrigued with some episodes where characters talk about agendas.  It goes something like this:
Your agenda will color how you perceive a situation and how you respond.  Everyone has an agenda.  So what's your agenda?
I keep thinking, "Everyone has an agenda, so what's my agenda?"  

I guess I have a two-fold approach.  I want to look back on my life and have no regrets.  And I want other people to have a good experience with whatever I'm involved in, whether it's at work or serving a meal or just having a conversation.  It's probably part of my military training in preparing for the unexpected. 

And to me, that all sounds good and honorable.  But when dealing with the human condition, with my condition and my sin, I know that my selfishness abounds.  Insecurity abounds.  Wrong perspectives abound. 

I know that part of my approach is based on self-protection, as in I don't want to be the cause of problems.  I don't want to worry about hurting other people.  But living in this sinful world, I can't escape problems and bad feelings.  And I hurt people.  So much for my agenda!

But Jesus had a different agenda, to glorify His Father.
I glorified you on earth, having accomplished the work that you gave me to do.  John 17:4
While on this earth, Jesus taught and preached, and spoke truth about God.  He loved people, He healed them and fed them, and He even raised some from the dead.  

But His agenda was clear; He came to do the work of His Father, to save people from their sins, to give them peace with God.
When the days drew near for him to be taken up, [Jesus] set his face to go to Jerusalem.  Luke 9:51
Jesus set His face to Jerusalem, where He would die the death of a prophet, die as the Lamb of God who takes away the sins of the world.

In fulfilling His work, His agenda, Jesus frees me from my own selfish ways.  He frees me to know His love and forgiveness and to love other people.   

And it's not easy, but His help and His Word are always available to strengthen me and to bring me back.  

My prayer is that, in the midst of this world, the troubles I face, and my own sins...my prayer is to remember Jesus's words to His disciples and to make that my way of looking at the world.  Jesus's looked at the world and tells us to...
Look, I tell you, lift up your eyes, and see that the fields are white for harvest.  John 4:35


No comments:

Post a Comment