Friday, November 29, 2019

Why the Lutheran Church?

Matt Witman is the host of the Ten Minute Bible Hour, a YouTube channel that talks about "God, Christianity, Church History, and most of all the Bible itself."  This is an open letter to Matt.


Matt,

Like you, I didn't grow up Lutheran.  As I watched your visit to a Lutheran church and listened to your interview on Lutheran Public Radio, I kept thinking, "I know where Matt's coming from."  This letter is my input and response to your conversation.

1.  I previously thought that the greatest good was to get wisdom, knowledge, and understanding from God's Word.  But in becoming Lutheran, I now realize that God's Word is true, even if it doesn't seem logical or make sense to me.  And that's comforting.  I don't have to do mental gymnastics or to understand His Word for it to be true.  My salvation isn't on me or my understanding.
For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways, declares the LORD.  For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways and my thoughts than your thoughts.  Isaiah 55:8-9
2.  The Ten Commandments are often wrongly viewed as just a checklist for Christian living.  Jesus teaches that the commandments also must be kept "from the heart" when He equates anger with murder and lust with adultery.  And the Lutheran understanding is that we break those commandments daily.  We can't stop sinning; I can't stop sinning.  That's a hard pill to swallow about oneself.  It also goes against a lot of popular, Christian self-help teachings. 

3.  The confession and the absolution are the coolest and most unique parts of the Lutheran service.  

People may think that having a pastor absolve a person of sins will somehow give that person a license to sin.  People may also object and say, "I can confess my own sins to God.  I don't need the pastor to do it for me."  

The truth is, the confession and absolution are gifts from the Lord to me.  I need to hear that forgiveness, for my heart, my conscience, my peace, so I know and believe.  It's for me.  And it's Biblical.
If you forgive the sins of any, they are forgiven them; if you withhold forgiveness from any, it is withheld.  John 20:23
4.  People often ask, "Do you believe baptism is salvific?  Is the Lord's Supper salvific?"  I think the question should be, "How does one receive forgiveness of sins and salvation?  Through what means does God give faith?"

And for the individual Christian whose conscience may bother him, "How does he know he's saved?  What can he point to for assurance that's not inside his own understanding, feelings, or behavior?"
So faith comes from hearing, and hearing through the word of Christ.  Romans 10:17
Baptism...now saves you, not as a removal of dirt from the body but as an appeal to God for a good conscience, through the resurrection of Jesus Christ.  1 Peter 3:21
"Take, eat; this is my body."  And..."Drink of it... for this is my blood of the covenant, which is poured out for many for the forgiveness of sins."  Matthew 26:26-28
Baptism, the Lord's Supper, God's Word are all gifts given to us, to me, to give me forgiveness and faith, so that I don't doubt the validity or strength of my faith, or wonder if I really do have faith or am really a Christian.  

5.  Finally, the Lutheran pastor you visited nailed it in equating worship with breathing.  To live as Christians, we need to continually "take in" His Word, to be reminded of our baptism, to hear the forgiveness of sins, to know the forgiveness that's given in the eating and drinking of the Lord's Supper.  

I need to be pointed again and again to the cross, to Jesus.  I need to know the love of God, of my Father in Heaven.  Without that continual "breathing" my faith will grow cold and die.

Matt, thanks for taking the time to explore the Lutheran church and teachings and to share your journey.  God's blessings and encouragement to you.

Kathy Mokris - baptized child, saint and sinner, always a beggar.


1 comment: