Sunday, September 15, 2019

To Work and to Rest

In the Marvel movies, Tony Stark, the bad boy turned Iron Man, is always working, serving, doing whatever he can to save the world.  He just won't rest.  

Pepper Potts even says, "Tony, trying to get you to stop has been one of the few failures of my entire life."

Tony's relentlessness reminds me of the Christian's walk.  The work never seems to end.  There's always something to do or somebody to serve.

While I was in the Marine Corps, a fellow lieutenant had a sign that read:
If not you, who?  
If not now, when?

I didn't think much about it at the time, but these days...well...I often think, "If not me, then who?"  Like Tony Stark, I see a lot of work, and it seems like I should be doing it.  It'd be nice to stop and rest.

But there's a lot wrong with my attitude. 

Ugly pride rears its head.  The exhaustion of work, the discouragement - pride is mixed in with that feeling.  Yes, I'm commanded to love and serve people, but it's the Lord working through me, with His strength and His gifts.  It's not my talents or efforts that matter, but I often act and feel like it's on me. 

This idea of balancing work and rest reminds me of prayer.
Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God.  Philippians 4:6
So, how does a Christian face and deal with life's issues and problems, pray about them, but not worry?  Likewise, how does a Christian see all the work that needs to be done, join in doing it, but not feel overwhelmed, anxious, or prideful about the work?  

People often say, "Give it to the Lord."  But I ask, "How do you do that?"  

How do I give my work, my problems, to the Lord, but also still continue the work and still live alongside the problems?  Is there some mysticism involved here?  

I tend to focus on the problems, on getting the work done, and praying for help, for things to be better.  Good to do.

But, that doesn't alleviate the personal discouragement and hurts that happen in the midst of life.  Praying about the problems just doesn't help me deal with my despair or exhaustion.

And the answer is always the same.  Sin and grace.

Whatever the situation is, when I pray for help, but also confess my own sin, ask for forgiveness, and give thanks for Jesus's death and resurrection, in that prayer I find peace, comfort, strength, and rest.

It's always about the cross; it's always about Jesus's resurrection.

If not you, who?
Jesus

If not now, when?
At the cross.
At the empty tomb.

 

 He is risen indeed! 




No comments:

Post a Comment