Sunday, August 25, 2019

The Desire for More

Two years ago, I watched my first Marvel movie, Guardians of the Galaxy Vol 2.  Then my sons took charge.  I watched all the old movies and got "caught up" on the story lines.  I was able to see Avengers: Infinity War at the theater, and join other Marvel fans in waiting a year for the final movie.  Avengers: Endgame hit the theaters in April, and is now available on DVD.  

But I'm left asking, "Is that it?"
  
You see, Endgame is a perfect and a satisfying movie.  Loose ends are tied up; story lines are brought together.  Past story lines are referenced and revisited.  All questions are answered.

But now it's over.  There's no looking forward to future movies or contemplating the "something greater" still to come.

That's the way of satisfaction in this world.  Satisfaction doesn't last, which leaves us constantly wanting more and always moving "on to the next thing."

And I think about the Christian life.  Similar to waiting a year to see Endgame, my Christian life is a waiting - a waiting for Jesus to return, to fulfill His promise.
In my Father's house are many rooms. If it were not so, would I have told you that I go to prepare a place for you?  And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again and will take you to myself, that where I am you may be also.  John 14:2-3
Amen, come Lord Jesus.

But then what?  

As I think about satisfaction, perfection, and wanting more, C.S. Lewis's The Last Battle comes to mind.

The Last Battle is the final book in the Chronicles of Narnia series, stories that place the Christian narrative in the mythical world of Narnia.  The Last Battle is Narnia's take on the book of Revelation.  And as the characters are taken into eternity, Lewis talks about them going further up and further in - always, always more.  And I love this quote:

But for them it was only the beginning of the real story. All their life in this world and all their adventures in Narnia had only been the cover and the title page: now at last they were beginning Chapter One of the Great Story which no one on earth has read: which goes on for ever: in which every chapter is better than the one before.             C.S. Lewis, The Last Battle

With that paragraph, Lewis nails it.  Jesus's second coming, as anticipated and as glorious as it will be, is only the beginning of the real story.  And it's hard to imagine it or to comprehend it.  I can only read:
And I heard a loud voice from the throne saying, “Behold, the dwelling place of God is with man. He will dwell with them, and they will be his people, and God himself will be with them as their God.  He will wipe away every tear from their eyes, and death shall be no more, neither shall there be mourning, nor crying, nor pain anymore, for the former things have passed away.”  Revelation 21:3-4 
And I saw no temple in the city, for its temple is the Lord God the Almighty and the Lamb.  And the city has no need of sun or moon to shine on it, for the glory of God gives it light, and its lamp is the Lamb.  Revelation 21:22–23
...so we will always be with the Lord.  1 Thessalonians 4:17b



No comments:

Post a Comment