Sunday, December 2, 2018

'84 and Good Feelings...

In July 1980, I entered the United States Naval Academy as a member of the class of 1984.  And within a few weeks, the number "84" became highly significant to me and my classmates.

To us, "84" represents all the experiences and traditions that bind us together as Naval Academy Alumni.

To this day, we're amused and satisfied by that number. Every time "84" appears, whether it's in a picture, a road sign, a sporting score - we feel good inside. 

But...I'm puzzled by this reaction.  I think about my Christian faith.

Nothing in my faith moves me the way "84" affects me. 

God's Word moves me when I read it and especially when I hear it.  But it's not a guaranteed emotion or feeling the way "84" is.

A beautiful sanctuary, a crucifix - they can affect me, but not always.

Am I missing something?  Should I start to use a Christian word or phrase and make it mine?  

Maybe "He is risen" or "The tomb was empty."

The answer is no.  I don't need something to evoke excitement about my faith.

My faith and hope aren't based on a gooey feeling inside of me.  Sometimes, I feel that comfort.  Sometimes, I'm emotional about my faith.

But most of the time, I'm just living and experiencing life's normal struggles.  

My Christian faith is based on a historical fact, a fact outside of myself, outside of my feelings.  
For I delivered to you as of first importance what I also received: that Christ died for our sins in accordance with the Scriptures, that he was buried, that he was raised on the third day in accordance with the Scriptures.                                1 Corinthians 15:3-4
While I wish that the gospel message always came with an inner comfort and satisfaction, my lack of emotion doesn't negate the truth - Jesus, the Son of Man, the Son of God, lived, died, and rose again, for my salvation.

The hope of the resurrection of our bodies is certain and sure.
...as we look not to the things that are seen but to the things that are unseen. For the things that are seen are transient, but the things that are unseen are eternal.  2 Corinthians 4:18
Although the good feelings about "84" are real and treasured, God's forgiveness and His promise of eternal life thru Jesus is of more substance and comfort than anything in this life.  



No comments:

Post a Comment