Sunday, October 28, 2018

Making Decisions

Living the Christian life is complicated.  I'm often unsure of the loving thing to do or say; I make lots of mistakes.  

And I struggle with decisions.  I want to do what's right.  But often, I don't know what to choose.

I've met people who've "waited for God's answer" to a life choice, such as which job to take or which house to buy.  They'll say, "God has blessings for you if you choose correctly.  Wait for God to show you the way."  

That sounds good.  But at some point, you have to choose, even if God hasn't "answered."  

I've heard other people say, "Take the job you want.  You're free to do that.  God doesn't have a map that He's hoping you'll follow."

But for me, sometimes, I'm just not sure of the right thing to do...or if one way is more correct than another.  That leaves me stuck.

In the big picture of life, do my daily choices, even the bigger ones, make a difference? 

I don't know.  

If I have a decision I need to make that I think is a big deal, well, maybe it's not such a big deal.  Perhaps a lot of my decisions are no different than choosing to eat a peanut butter and jelly sandwich.   

In the grand scheme of things, what's God concerned about?

As I was considering this, I happened to read Isaiah 40.**  Verse 22 says:

 It is he [God] who sits above the circle of the earth, and its inhabitants are like grasshoppers...




We're like grasshoppers - yes, the Bible really says that!

Maybe my big decisions aren't as important as I think they are.  Maybe I don't have to know the right answers, to choose correctly all the time.  

Okay...no Maybe about it.  It really doesn't depend on me!  It depends on what Jesus has already done, His Word and His Truth.
The saying is trustworthy and deserving of full acceptance, that Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners, of whom I am the foremost.  1 Timothy 1:15
But where does that leave me when making a decision?
Your word is a lamp to my feet and a light to my path.   Psalm 119:105
It leaves me with God's Word. Being in His Word is a "right thing" to be doing each day - both reading His Word and meditating and thinking on it.

My best work, my best decisions, they'll always be imperfect.  But I'm blessed because He loves me, died for me.  When I'm weak, uncertain, He's strong.  I don't have it all together; I don't have all the answers.  I don't have to.  It's not on me.
For in it the righteousness of God is revealed from faith for faith, as it is written, "The righteous shall live by faith."  Romans 1:17

**I'm studying Reading Isaiah with Luther.  I didn't randomly open the Bible, looking for an answer; my husband calls that Lucky Dipping!



No comments:

Post a Comment