Sunday, August 5, 2018

The Hungry Cats

I'm not a cat person.  But we've had a mother cat and her six kittens living under our back porch for a couple of months.  And they're so cute - four gray and two black kittens.

We're working with our neighbor, who's husband is a veterinarian, to catch the cats, especially the mother, and to get medical attention for her.  So, we've alerted other neighbors not to feed the cats, making it easier to catch them.

The kittens are now thin and looking for food.  And last night...the mother was lying on our porch and letting four no-longer-baby-kittens nurse from her.  I couldn't watch, and see their hunger and do nothing.  So I shut the blinds.

The past few days, my Bible readings have been about Jesus teaching lost and hungry people.
When he saw the crowds, [Jesus] had compassion for them, because they were harassed and helpless, like sheep without a shepherd.   Matthew 9:36
Jesus healed the hurting, fed the hungry, and comforted and taught the crowds.  He provided for those in need.

And just about every week, I meet people who say something like...
- I believe in God.
- I'm spiritual but I don't go to church.
- I talk to Him, and He takes care of me.
- I'm a good person.
I know they're hungry, and I know what they're missing.  Paul said...
The saying is trustworthy and deserving of full acceptance, that Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners, of whom I am the foremost.  1 Timothy 1:15
Jesus came to die for sinners...not for good people, not for people who are spiritual, who believe in God or pray, but for sinners, sinners who are hungry and in need of forgiveness and salvation.  

And, He's entrusted His message of salvation to the church, to Christians, to me.   

But the truth is, I often have more compassion for hungry cats than I do for lost people.  

When I hear people speak about "being spiritual" or "being a good person" I don't always recognize their hunger.  And I'm often too distracted or just selfish to respond with the truth of God's Word.  

At other times, my faith is weak, and I don't speak up.  I also need to know His comfort.
Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of mercies and God of all comfort, who comforts us in all our affliction, so that we may be able to comfort those who are in any affliction, with the comfort with which we ourselves are comforted by God.  2 Corinthians 1:3-4
Heavenly Father,
Forgive me for not caring for people, for not sharing Good News with them, for my weak faith.  I pray for the wisdom, courage, and faith to share Your truth.  Give me opportunities to care for and share with others who need to know Your mercy, forgiveness, and love.
In Jesus's name.
Amen


No comments:

Post a Comment