Sunday, March 18, 2018

"Thy Will Be Done"

When I'm on task, I'm basically a problem-solving, time management freak.  I plan and think through my work, and to other people, I always seem to be calm and "in control." 

Yesterday I had a short to-do list, thinking I'd get that done and have most of the day to handle whatever else came up.  

But, first thing in the morning, I had to clear an icy sidewalk; and then, one after another, things went wrong; and I was left scrambling the entire day.

And I went home feeling defeated, as if I'd "lost" the day.   

 Then this morning, I happened to read:

...by instructing us to pray "your will be done," God "teaches us that we have no greater enemy than ourself."  Since we want our will to be done, God is asking us to pray against ourselves...This means asking him to put our self-will to death through the cross.**

Wow - I have my lists and my will for each day; but God has His will.  And yesterday, a "lost" day for me, He accomplished something.  By defeating my day, He taught me to also consider His plans, not just mine. 

From the above passage -  This means asking him to put our self-will to death through the cross.

The cross...and Jesus prayed...
...saying, “Father, if you are willing, remove this cup from me. Nevertheless, not my will, but yours, be done.”                    Luke 22:42
It seems so obvious that, in like manner, I should've been praying for my day and including God's will; His will perhaps being the unexpected and unpleasant.  But, I wasn't.  I was equating my work with His will.

And we all have work to do, every day.  And it's necessary to have a "plan" to get through the day and to get the work done. 

But God's will needs to be in my "plan for the day."

I remember Rich Buhler, a Christian talk show host who'd always end his show with, "I'll be back tomorrow...Lord willing."  And I thought he was just being pessimistic!
Thank you, Heavenly Father, for teaching me that I'm not in control.  Help me to use my talents and my time to serve others, and to accomplish my work.  But, help me also to be mindful that, in the end, it's "Thy will be done" not mine.  
Trust in the LORD with all your heart, and do not lean on your own understanding.  In all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make straight your paths. Proverbs 3:5–6
Delight yourself in the LORD, and he will give you the desires of your heart. Psalm 37:4
I pray for my desire and my delight to be in You and in Your will.  And I pray for wisdom to understand Your will and to act accordingly - putting all my trust and faith in Jesus.

In Jesus' name and with the Holy Spirit.
Amen 

**The Unholy Trinity: Martin Luther Against the Idol of Me, Myself, and I - Michael A. Lockwood.
 


No comments:

Post a Comment